What I have: 

• pair of SONOS Play 1’s
  • SONOS Move
  • SONOS 5 (back ordered, en-route)
  • Onkyo TX-8020 receiver
  • pair of KEF Q150s
  • Polk HTS 10 sub
  • vinyl player (no phono preamp)
  • BenQ HT2050 projector + Chromecast (gen 3)

What I’m trying to achieve:

1. Integrate my Hi-Fi/vinyl system with my SONOS system: I would like to play vinyl music and have it play across my SONOS speakers. Likewise, would like to use my KEFQ150s to play music I stream via Spotify.
    • Would it also be possible to have music play concurrently on my old speakers AND SONOS speakers at the same time?

2. Broadcast audio from my projector to SONOS speakers, and if possible, my KEFQ150s as well

Questions: 

• what do I need for 1.? AMP or PORT? I think a PORT will suffice, but I’m not 100% sure how to connect things to the appropriate inputs/outputs...
  • For 2. will the SONOS 5 line-in be the simplest solution? I know this won’t let me play things on my KEF Q150s….or is there someway to leverage an AMP/PORT that I won’t need to purchase the SONOS 5?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 January 2021, 23:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jingsz

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concerns. Let me help you out with this.

Looking at your current system, as you mentioned, your Vinyl player has no phono preamp, while your Onkyo TX-8020 is an amp receiver, you need a Sonos Port and you'd have Vinyl > Onkyo > Sonos Port and you can group your other Sonos speakers with the Port to play the same music at the same time. You may check out the Sonos Port Manual for the setup reference. You need a vinyl player with a phono preamp for you to use the line-in on the Sonos 5.

Integrating your BenQ projector to your Sonos system is not a recommended setup but there are members in the community who might have the same setup. We can wait for their feedback or inputs about it. You may also check this topic that may help you out.

Hope this helps. Please us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks for chiming in @Rowena B. and providing those additional links. 

I just want to confirm signal chain setup for the port/vinyl/receiver setup and what this means. 

Port (Out) → Onkyo Receiver In (any?): This will allow me to stream music to my existing KEFQ150s/subwoofer,  yes? 

Vinyl player → Onkyo Receiver (Phono In), Onkyo Receiver (Tape Out) → Port (In): 
will this allow me to play vinyl on my SONOS speakers and KEF Q150s? my receiver doesn’t have a phono “out”...so I don’t think this will work right? 

I would recommend the Port connected to the input and output of the tape loop, so at least half your statement above is correct, and potentially all of it. And yes, the turntable to the phono input.

Hi @Airgetlam, thanks for that suggestion. 

So it sounds like at the very least I’d be able to accomplish, using a port, streaming music onto my old Hi-Fi system…

If anyone can confirm whether the vinyl player would still feed through the Port/Sonos system without a “phono out”, that would be great! 

Yes. The phono would go out the tape out into the Port’s input, just as if the Port was a tape deck, and you would be able to play your turntable in any Sonos speaker. Note that there is a small delay when a device is connected to the line in on the Sonos, so if you were to listen to the ‘phono’ setting on your amplifier there would be a slight delay on your speakers connected to it. If instead you set it to play the ‘tape’ input, it should play all speakers in sync. 

ah ok thanks for confirming @Airgetlam -- I wasn’t sure if the receiver would only limit me to selecting either “phono input” or “tape input”. I will need to get a Port to test this all out and will confirm if I am able to get it to work thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Did you ever get set up to feed a Sonos stream into the receiver via the Port and out to your KEFs? Never thought about something like that, but it’s a neat idea. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

ah ok thanks for confirming @Airgetlam -- I wasn’t sure if the receiver would only limit me to selecting either “phono input” or “tape input”. I will need to get a Port to test this all out and will confirm if I am able to get it to work thanks!

The receiver would have to have a “tape monitor” button, something found on vintage receivers back when three head tape decks were a thing.  

As you mentioned, your Onkyo likely lacks that feature so you will experience a delay when playing your speakers with your Sonos speakers.

A solution would be to instead use a Sonos Amp to drive your passive speakers and connect the tape output to the line in on the Sonos Amp.  You would use your Onkyo as a “preamp” for your turntable, CD player, etc...