Inexpensive method to connect a turntable to an existing Sonos system - solved!

• 13 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Thanks to advice in this community and others on the internet, I was able to easily connect my turntable (Fluance RT-80 with built-in pre-amp) to my existing Sonos home theatre system for an all-wireless solution.

My Sonos system consists of a Playbar, two One speakers, and a Sub.  None of these have a line-in or RCA inputs for sound from the turntable.  Sonos states there are three solutions on its “How To Listen to Vinyl With Sonos” blog: you need a FiveAmp, or Port.  Each of these solutions is several hundred dollars - more than I wanted to spend.

However, this ignores the Roam.  The small Bluetooth portable speaker is inexpensive (one-third the cost of a Five).  If I had a Bluetooth turntable, the Roam would have been all I needed.  However, my turntable does not have Bluetooth, so I needed to purchase a Bluetooth transmitter and a Stereo Mini to RCA Y-Audio Cable.  I chose the 1Mii ML301 Bluetooth Transmitter/Receiver, an inexpensive, elegant, compact, rechargeable (USB-C charging port) device.

Once I had everything home, I had my turntable playing tunes through my Sonos system within minutes.  I am sure that as I am using Bluetooth there is a sacrifice to be made in terms of audio quality.  But it all sounds good to me, and I already have infinite high fidelity selections available from my digital sources.

I actually have my turntable and Roam in a different room from the Sonos home theatre system, and am able to connect the sound from the Roam to the home theatre system.  Note that when doing this, the Roam and home theatre system must be linked together and therefore both are playing from the turntable.

As an added bonus, I now have a portable speaker to take with me when in the backyard, to the cottage, or when travelling.

I wish Sonos had made it easier for me to discover this solution. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Thank you, GJS001, for this information.  I had pretty much the same question and have spent way too long looking for the answer.  Not finding it -- and, like you, not wanting to drop another $400 on another Sonos component -- I bought a Sony SRS XB23 bluetooth speaker, a wonderful portable speaker which I picked up as a refurb at $68.  I can get the (bluetooth) turntable paired with the speaker, but not with the rest of my Sonos sound system.  I am concluding that Sony is incompatible with Sonos.  (This info is not easy to find either -- what is compatible?)  Looks like I’ll have to spring for the Roam.  Definitely Sonos needs to put your info on their website!  I’ve been working on this for weeks!

Thank you, GJS001, for this information.  I had pretty much the same question and have spent way too long looking for the answer.  Not finding it -- and, like you, not wanting to drop another $400 on another Sonos component -- I bought a Sony SRS XB23 bluetooth speaker, a wonderful portable speaker which I picked up as a refurb at $68.  I can get the (bluetooth) turntable paired with the speaker, but not with the rest of my Sonos sound system.  I am concluding that Sony is incompatible with Sonos.  (This info is not easy to find either -- what is compatible?)  Looks like I’ll have to spring for the Roam.  Definitely Sonos needs to put your info on their website!  I’ve been working on this for weeks!

I’m not sure why you would think a Sony bluetooth speaker would be compatible with Sonos wifi system.  Sonos can only connect wirelessly with other Sonos speakers.    While I don’t know that the Sonos website explicitly says these, they certainly don’t mention compatibility with any other speaker brands.  Something you expect if compatibility existed.

Further, the addition of the Roam is important in that it allows a wireless connection to Sonos.  After, the key distinction for Sonos is that it is an all-wireless system.  So the Roam is a huge improvement over the wired turntable solutions offered by the Five, Amp, and Port options.

I hope that Sonos will add the Roam to its list of solutions for “How To Listen to Vinyl With Sonos.”

While the wireless capability can be a plus in some situations, I think the reliance on bluetooth can be a bit of a reduction in sound quality as I understand it (someone correct me if I’m wrong).  I would still go with a Port, Amp, Five if cost was less of a concern or you have use of the other features of these products.

It would be a good idea for Sonos to mention the Roam as a solution for vinyl though.

BethM, I’m pleased you found it helpful.  I had looked on and off for three years for a relatively simple and inexpensive solution.  Others have shown that it is possible to connect with a homemade system powered by a Raspberry Pi, but the level of programming does not qualify that as simple.

Unless you are able to do your own programming, you need to have a Sonos bluetooth speaker.  The Sony (or any other non-Sonos speaker) will not connect to the Sonos system. 

Perhaps my previous post wasn’t sufficiently clear about this - to add a turntable to the Sonos system, you need a Sonos component to interface between the turntable and other components in the system.  Now there is one more Sonos component that accomplishes this task, the Roam, in addition to those mentioned by Sonos (Five, Port, and Amp).  Further, the addition of the Roam is important in that it allows a wireless connection to Sonos.  After, the key distinction for Sonos is that it is an all-wireless system.  So the Roam is a huge improvement over the wired turntable solutions offered by the Five, Amp, and Port options.

I hope that Sonos will add the Roam to its list of solutions for “How To Listen to Vinyl With Sonos.”