Answered

In-app Advertising? Not good, Sonos!

• 2 December 2016
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
I'm not sure when this started, but I just noticed an in-app advertisement in the iOS app under the main menu. I noticed a little red dot on the menu button when I went to toggle my alarm, and once I selected the menu, I saw the Sonos advertisement for $30 off Sonos. Is there a way to opt out of these ads? For what I paid for my extensive setup throughout my home, one would think I wouldn't have to put up with ads. After all, the same ad is already in my email inbox, so why does Sonos feel it has to also put that same ad in the app? At the very least, give the customers an option to opt out.
icon

Best answer by John B 2 December 2016, 17:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

http://www.sonos.com/en-us/software/release/6-4-7

I'm not defending it, just providing info.
Userlevel 2
Thanks mate! Much appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I would definitely like to see an additional checkbox in the Profile Settings to enable/disable in-app notifications. I don't mind receiving emails from Sonos, but I'm not a fan of these "notifications". But since the two are linked, I guess my inbox will also be void of Sonos email.
I agree completely. It's so annoying that it shows up similar to an update visually... this might just push me to use a 3rd party controller app...casting is easy, so there's little reason to use the app much anyway. Junk like this just pushes people away.
Userlevel 2
Sonos needs to acknowledgement the users are the reason for their successes. We bought Sonos for what it was. We paid for ALL of its performance features because we like the sound and user experiences (mostly sound). But if theyre now going to shove ads down our throats, WE can jump ship. Sonos is no longer the only player in town, and they need to acknowledgement that. But instead of showing us some goddamn appreciation, they're now tricking us into seeing ads? It's total BS.

The average Sonos buyer has a few spare dollars at the end of every month, after the bills are paid. In other words, we're not poor. And by being 'not poor', we can spend our spare dollars elsewhere. I won't speak for others, but i have zero reservations of shit-canning Sonos and starting over. I'll sell my Sonos and start over.
Uncheck the checkbox(es) [?]
Userlevel 2
Thanks, I appreciate that, but I shouldn't have had to do that. Was that their standard years ago when I first started buying Sonos? If not, what gave them the right to start spamming me with their ads, when I didn't ever agree to that to begin with?...Unless they tricked me into accepting new T&C's with an update.

After spending thousands on Sonos, putting a speaker in every corner of my house, I'm done with Sonos. Even my 10-year-old twins have a Play 5 and Sub in their rooms (each). I decided just now to start buying a competitive product (starting Thanksgiving day). I'm tired of businesses taking advantage of their customers. I don't care about the money -- I'm just not putting up with that kind of business practice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
really its one box to uncheck - don't torture yourself. Best of luck in "competing product" shopping. That would take a lot more time then checking a box - and I'm sure they will be non-profit companies.