Question

Improve Sonos Audio Quality

Hi I have a Sonos Connect that is hooked to an Audio Research Amp. But the audio output is very mediocre, it lacks richness and fidelity. Is there something else that I can purchase for my setup to improve audio quality.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Given a reasonably powerful amp in good working condition, the four big drivers of sound quality are:
1. Recording/mastering quality
2. Speaker quality
3. Speaker placement/room acoustics.
4. Sound levels obtained in the listening area
See where these can be improved.
The trivial things that can be distractions that have little bearing on sound quality are:
1. Quality of the Connect output
2. Mastering/recording using media that is more "advanced" than CDs, namely Hi Res or HD music formats
Ignore these distractions.
Kumar is correct. If you are blaming the Connect you are way off target. I assume you aren't using the phono input on the amp?
Always get a laugh from folks who buy ridiculously overpriced gear like that from Audio Research. I believe they were the ones who started all the "tubes sound better" nonsense.
Along with the equally over the top Conrad Johnson, I suspect.
Yes, both are bad apples.
http://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/critic3.htm
That link is new to me, thanks, though I am familiar with much of the named cast of characters. The writer certainly does not pull any punches:-).
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi I have a Sonos Connect that is hooked to an Audio Research Amp. But the audio output is very mediocre, it lacks richness and fidelity. Is there something else that I can purchase for my setup to improve audio quality.

Hey guys, let's get back on target, no need to insult anyone's choice of gear. If you're using a digital output on the CONNECT the biggest things you can do to improve the quality of the sound is to make sure you're listening to higher quality stuff. a 128 kbps radio stream is going to sound very different from another at 320 kbps or FLAC at 1411 kbps.
If you're using a digital output on the CONNECT the biggest things you can do to improve the quality of the sound is to make sure you're listening to higher quality stuff.
And if you are using the analog output?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If you're using a digital output on the CONNECT the biggest things you can do to improve the quality of the sound is to make sure you're listening to higher quality stuff.
And if you are using the analog output?

The same thing in that case. The DAC we use is a really good one but everyone has preferences. If you firmly believe in a product you have connected along the line, you can use the digital out on the CONNECT. In the end, I'd say you're going to get great audio from any configuration of quality products, just make sure your source is good.
Ok, just checking. For a moment I thought you too have climbed on to the "external DAC and nothing less" bandwagon.
I found this thread because i was looking for information about issues with analog sound output from the sonos connect. Specifically some low volume - high frequency "clicking" and a bit of low volume white noise. I have experienced this with both of the connects i have, as well as a friends connect...

My experience is that the connect, like all sonos products, is all about convenience. The UI is the best i have used, and sound quality is generally acceptable for background music.

Sound quality using a good external DAC is MUCH better than the analog outputs. I suspect it has a lot more to do with the internal power supply or amplification implementation than the actual DAC chips... But connecting the connect to a "good" external DAC made a world of difference for me... It sounded as if someone removed a wet blanket from overtop the speakers, and of course, the "clicking" and white noise went away.

While im at it... I would love to see some higher res support in the sonos. Tidal masters for example.

Anyway, curious if anyone else has noticed the "clicking" or white noise issues (note - unless you have a very high resolving system you will likely need to be within a few feet of the speakers to hear).
I have a scarily expensive and highly regarded DAC/pre-amp that I feed with a digital output ,from my Connect. I wish I could say it was significantly better than analog out of the Connect (i.e. using the Connect's DAC). But it isn't. But subjective non-blind audio comparisons are notoriously unreliable anyway.
I have a £2,500 DAC/pre-amp that I feed with a digital output ,from my Connect. I wish I could say it was significantly better than analog out of the Connect (i.e. using the Connect's DAC). But it isn't. But subjective non-blind audio comparisons are notoriously unreliable anyway.

I didn't bother mentioning all the details of my testing... Level matching was done using both an SPL meter and a calibrated measurement mic. I can "see" the white noise and "clicking" from the analog outputs on the connect with my oscilloscope. It is not present when I feed the digital output to my external DAC.

For external DAC's I have tried it with the following:
1. Benchmark DAC 1 hdr
2. Logitech Transporter
3. TACT 2.2xp
4. PS Audio Directstream

For the subjective bit. We listened to all the DAC's (including the built-in one). Of course, i knew which DAC was being used, but the others listening did not. FWIW, the ranking came out as follows:

*Worst
Sonos Connect Analog Output (worst by a large margin due to low volume "clicking" and white noise)
TACT, Logitech, Benchmark (these were all pretty close)
PS Audio Directstream (best - but not by as large a margin as the price differential from the Logitech or Benchmark might suggest)
*Best

I have confirmed that the problems with the analog output of the connect are not unique to one unit, I tested 3 units (two of mine and one belonging to a friend) - purchased years apart from one another at different stores.
I guess my hearing is going then
I guess my hearing is going then

It happens to all of us. My HF hearing is certainly not what it used to be.

If you get a chance... connect the sonos via its analog outputs, crank up the volume, and put your ear up to the tweeter with no music playing. I'd be curious if you hear the clicking and white noise in that (unrealistically extreme) situation. (of course, then try the same thing through your DAC).
Ah the magical hifi hearing. Don't think I ever had that. It is now some years since I switched to digital out. I just remember thinking the difference was there but nothing like as striking as I expected. It is hard to get to the back of the gear in my set up and so I am afraid I won't be trying any experiments.
HF = high frequency :)

No worries on not being able to try the experiment... perhaps someone else will.