Question

Impact of Move on grouping, room visibility

• 15 November 2019
  • 4 replies

Is it just me, or has adding a Move (which even in Sonos-world is a pretty expensive piece of kit) caused problems with my system as a whole? 

Often the Move will disappear from the app. More commonly, and way more frustratingly, every other speaker will disappear. Even when playing. 

This is a new behaviour since the Move. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

Before the Move was introduced the ‘best practice’ for a Sonos system was to remove wi-fi credentials when switching to the Sonos Net mesh mode. (Via connecting one Sonos device via a wired connection)  The reason for this was to try and ensure that Sonos devices don’t flip between a wi-fi and mesh connection within the same Sonos system.

You don’t mention your system config but I suspect you are using the Sonos Net method of connection?

With the introduction of the Move, however, this has changed slightly as even if you have your system set-up using Sonos Net, you are required to enter wi-fi credentials during the Move set-up process.  Even though the Move wi-fi credentials are viewed in a different part of the app, it is possible for other devices to use them and flip between the wi-fi, intended for the Move, and Sonos Net.

One way to stop this from happening is to select a 5Ghz wi-fi frequency for the Move, as none of the other Sonos devices can connect outside of the 2.4Ghz band and so this will stop a mixed connection situation.

Please try and let us know how you get on.

Thanks for this, sounds very logical. Have just switched everything from SonosNet to the wifi, (very good strong signal throughout house, so hopefully all good). One question - where can I find the toggle to separately set the Move to 5ghz? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

If you open the Sonos App>Settings>System>Network>Networks you can see the wi-fi that the Move is connected to but it appears that you would need to Factory Reset the Move to be able to select a different wi-fi for a 5Ghz connection during the setup process.

Edit:

As you now have everything connecting on a 2.4Ghz wi-fi connection, I suggest that you leave the Move on the same connection and not update to the 5Ghz connection unless you return back to a Sonos Net set-up.

So you no longer have a wired device, your Boost is disconnected?  If so, then I suspect you would be best leaving the Move on 2.4GHz anyway.

If that doesn’t work well for you then going back to SonosNet, but with Move on 5GHz is the other option, as explained by@UKMedia .  (Personally that is what I would have tried first.)

Edit: consistent with @UKMedia’s edit!