I would like to be on the Amazon Alexa Beta if possible.

• 27 December 2016
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
See Title - I have no idea what other way to let them know.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Same here. Been waiting for weeks now to hear anything about the beta (Private or Public). I have to decide whether to keep my new Amazon Alexa or go with Google Now, based on their timelines as I am sure Google Now will be ready with Sonos integration in a few months as well.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Oh i won't defect from Alexa but sure would be sweet to use my Sonos with it. I'm not a big fan of having to use their program to get use out of it. It reminds me of using an old Sony mp3 player.
Why in the world would anyone think Google will be ready with Sonos integration in a few months? There is zero indication Sonos is integrating with Google, and there is undeniable 100% confirmation that Sonos is working with Amazon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for your interest in helping out! You'll want to make sure you've signed up on your account page here: http://www.sonos.com/myaccount/beta to say you'd like to help test. That is a general page showing interest in testing anything out, but they select testers out of that list when any beta program starts up or has room to add more people.

I don't have any specifics on the Alexa beta, and technically can't confirm if it's in testing or when that will happen, but we definitely appreciate the willingness to help out.
Would love to be part of the beta
This is just sad. I read over the weekend that the CEO and founder of the company just left due to a decline in sales as a result of people buying Echos/Google Home. We purchased an Echo and an Echo Dot over Christmas with the thought of using them with Sonos, but can find no way of directly getting on this Beta or understand how this was to work (and I am signed up for Beta testing in the app).

You would think if this was such an urgency with declining sales that Sonos would get this out asap. They are a small company and should be nimble, but aren't. This seems to be an ongoing problem and the larger issue is the Sonos app has lots of usability problems that the company is not fixing. There are a couple glaring problems that have obvious solutions that I and others have sent in numerous times and years go by without fixing them.

Unfortunately for Sonos, after having Alexa for a couple weeks and realizing how useless its search capabilities are over time, i tried a Google Home to compare. Not only is it way better than Alexa in capability and sound, it also groups and syncs speakers like Sonos but better with less usability problems. It also handles video content and can fling youtube and netflix videos plus family photos to our TV on command via our $35 chromecast. At this point, I'm very close to selling off all my Sonos speakers and standardizing on google home. I wish that weren't the case....
The CEO stepped down because his wife has cancer and his parents are aging. He's also still employed by the company. I dont know where you heard differently, but whoever reported it is grossly misinformed.
And, I think you may have underestimated the amount of effort involved in coding such a complex system. I think Sonos recognizes the urgency, and are working on it with all due speed. Or, maybe they're surfing, and hoping that the company lasts so that they can ignore new features. Who knows? /sarcasm off

Think about the work. I need to be able to control content from how many different streaming possibilities? As well as any local content? I'm sure if I were running the code team working on it, they'd use the common phrase in software development: non-trivial, which for people like me means extraordinarily hard. I don't know how they'll be able to parse any of the local stuff on my HD, much less do searches on the streaming content. For instance, "Play Queen: A Night at the Opera on Livingroom speakers" has a multitude of loaded questions that have to be answered in able to effectively work. They are having to unpack every single answer in every situation. Voice control is a complex thing. Especially when there are so many datasets to work from (local device, multiple streaming possibilities). I don't think it's a weekend project, I suspect they've been working on it full tilt since or even before the CEO made the announcement. And I'd be willing to bet, having worked with similar teams on game software, that many of them gave up family time over the holidays in order to work on the issue.
Userlevel 1
I wish Sonos would provide updates on the Alexa integration timeline and (possible) beta program. I have 6 Sonos speakers plus 8 Alexa devices (1 Echo, 1 Tap & 6 Dots), so I'm obviously vested in a successful integration.
i have been on other sonos beta tests and i would really like to be on the Alexa/Sonos beta as well. i am technical and can handle issues as they arise
I'm another SONOS\Echo user, who is a member of the Beta program and would love to take part in any SONOS Echo integration testing. I have a technical background, numerous SONOS products (Sound bar (with satellites), Connect, Play 1, Play 3, Play 5) and Echo and Echo Dot already configured with Philips Hue lighting and a Nest Thermostat. (please let me play!)
They just rolled an update to beta, but it's very non-descript.
I would also like to formally request to join the SONOS:Echo beta. I signed up for beta in the link posted above in this thread. I have and actively use SONOS in every room of my house and own at least one of every product you have made. Some rooms have PLAY3 stereo pairs while my TV sound is supplied solely by the PLAYBAR, SUB, and PLAY1's. I use the SONOS app to play MP3s locally, as well as stream Google Play, TuneIn radio, and Sirius XM.
Please see Ryan's post in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/sonos-echo-private-beta-6739965
Userlevel 1
Badge
I too want to feel special and be a part of the private beta on Echo integration. I have a few skills myself and want to help make my 3 players and 8 echo devices all live in perfect harmony. With my harmony too.
A great way to get this now is to get a Harmony hub, it already works with Sonos and Harmony works with Alexa, you can play music in any room, start groups that are already connected together, and you can play favorites playlists. You cannot get as specific as you'll hopefully be able to with true and full integration but hey it gets the job done for me. Alexa turn on music in the living room...it plays a specific playlist keyed together in the harmony app.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hand in the air right here if there should be a beta about
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
When I got the beta, i was feeling really hopeful. But no juice yet. I actually tried telling Alexa to "play new music on Sonos" or "play new music on Sonos Kitchen" but she didn't know what I was talking about. Pout.
When I got the beta, i was feeling really hopeful. But no juice yet. I actually tried telling Alexa to "play new music on Sonos" or "play new music on Sonos Kitchen" but she didn't know what I was talking about. Pout.

You should be reading the beta release notice, which covers what new functions and/or fixes are contained in the beta. Otherwise, how do you know what to concentrate on when participating in the testing?
Having managed my fair share of "beta" software releases, the majority of people who sign up for them aren't concerned about doing any testing at all, they just want access to the latest and greatest, no matter what's in it. If I could engage about 10% of users in providing useful feedback, I felt pretty good.
Having managed my fair share of "beta" software releases, the majority of people who sign up for them aren't concerned about doing any testing at all, they just want access to the latest and greatest, no matter what's in it. If I could engage about 10% of users in providing useful feedback, I felt pretty good.

Yup, exactly my point! 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I so want to engage with Sonos on a Beta (could care less about Alexa... ) because I do want to be able to explore functionality and give feedback... but I know my wife wouldn't likely be too keen on the feedback part.... for this who have been involved, how stable have the betas been? I get that testing is testing. But I also know some betas are... well... 'loose' and others are pretty 'tight' before they go out the door for beta.... any input from current beta testers? Will my wife be fighting with the tech? 'Cause I'm ok with feedback... just not on her having to have poor experiences.... thought? Anyone?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I guess I'm in the minority, but I see Alexa integration as nothing but a parlor trick. Sonos seems to be moving away from concentrating on high fidelity, and moving much more to the consumer side.
Interesting perspective. I've always thought of Sonos as being as mainstream/consumer oriented as possible, and not attempting to be "High Fidelity" beyond what was necessary. Hence their lack of DTS/Hi Res, etc.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Seob. I hear you... but...

I think the shift is recognizing that, parlour trick or not, consumer expectations have, and will, go past the fidelity of the audio to the nature of the user experience... a failure to totally understand that would have Sonos yelling from the deck of a sinking ship that they do high fidelity mult-room audio better than anyone...

Truth is, people are listening to crap speakers because they can't be bothered to look at a phone that is in their hand... but want to speak to a device to make it play music. Wtf :? How lazy can a consumer be? Really... Remember when someone had to actually pull out a vinyl record, clean it, and place it on a turntable and actually had to move an arm bar over to start an album?!! 😃 but the quality audio can still succeed if they can make sure they do not miss out on the user integration. Hence the rush to be involved..... and an indicator of general consumer interest I think; what other beta has this site seen people signing in to ask if they can be involved??