Answered

How to verify sound format with Sonos Amp?

• 13 February 2021
  • 10 replies

Hi all, I'm using the Sonos amp with 2.1 third party speakers. I run FireTV into the TV's HDMI. Most of the apps on FireTV run Dolby Digital Plus. I selected audio pass through on the TV's settings. TV is connected to HDMI arc to Sonos amp. Most of my videos apps use Dolby Plus so I assume and hope that somewhere along this transfer the Dolby Plus will convert to Dolby Digital (Sonos compatibility)? How can I verify this? I assume I wouldn't get audio if it wasn't compatible but would be nice to check this because I find the phantom centre doesn't work all that great and maybe it's because I'm not getting the right audio format. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 13 February 2021, 01:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

While the audio is playing, go to Settings > System > About My System and scroll down to the Sonos Amp information and see what it says after “Audio In:”.

Thanks!! If it is stereo PCM does that mean the dialog enhancement doesn't work? 

Userlevel 7

The Speech Enhancement setting will work regardless of what type of audio you are getting from your TV source.

Ok thanks, that's good news since my Sonos is showing stereo pcm 2.0 as audio format when I run Amazon Prime Video on Dolby Plus.  That's strange because when I switch between pcm and Dolby on Amazon there is a difference in sound but Sonos shows pcm only as audio in regardless of format on Prime Video. 

Userlevel 7

What model TV do you have?

@GuitarSuperstar I have a 2019 model Insignia.  It’s not a high-end TV brand, but it has an audio pass through option which I assume can capably handle Dolby 5.1, especially as it is a 2019 model and most by now are able to handle this functionality. I have tried a few other times and still Sonos shows PCM when I’m watching something on FireTV in Dolby. But when I cycle between Dolby/PCM in FireTV, there is a noticeable difference in audio so I wonder if it is working despite Sonos not displaying Dolby. Thanks!

Userlevel 7

What are your Fire TV audio settings set to?

Dolby Digital Plus...

Userlevel 7

Is there a “Dolby Digital” option?

The Amp doesn’t have the ability to interpret Dolby Digital Plus. It is likely communicating that fact back through the ARC connection, telling the hub (TV) it can only handle Dolby Digital or PCM stereo.  The TV may be passing that information back to the Fire TV as it should, but as GuitarSuperstar suggests, you’re likely better off setting the Fire TV to lock its signal to Dolby Digital.