Answered

How to remote power off Sonos Connect

• 29 January 2019
  • 11 replies

I have a Sonos Connect to my receiver and a pair of Play 1 speakers. When I power off my receiver, is there a way to also have my Sonos Connect and speakers to power off?
icon

Best answer by Edward R 29 January 2019, 14:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, dave8. There isn't a functionality that exists within Sonos to have this happen - our devices are intended to be left "on" when not in use due to the low power consumption and needing to stay connected to WiFi. The way that comes to mind for me is having a multiplug adapter with a hard switch, though you've likely already thought of this...
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Remote control wifi enabked plugs will work.

I have speakers in my bedroom timed to go on and off at specific times.
Ibalso have other plugs operated by voive control.
Remote control wifi enabked plugs will work.

I have speakers in my bedroom timed to go on and off at specific times.
Ibalso have other plugs operated by voive control.

This is not a good idea for Sonos devices, as Edward suggested. You're essentially giving your Sonos an unnecessary reboot.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Intended to be left on doesnt actually read as though it is a specifically bad idea, although that may have been Edward Rs intention.

There are a number of people on here who have indicated theyy would like to have the ability to turn off their speakers. Until Sonos can do that, then if I dont want my speakers on all the time, then I dont have a great deal of choice.

Television reboot, computets reboot,is that unnecessary? And, is it unnecessary, if my system remains robust? If the argument, is that it will reduce the lifespan of the speaker, thats a problem with the quality of the speakers, in that they can't be used in the way a significant number of people want them to.
Televisions don't reboot when "turned off" , they do the same thing as a Sonos speaker does, i.e. go in to low power mode. Frankly, that's why one of the suggestions when experiencing HDMI-CEC issues is to actually unplug the TV from the wall, to force an actual reboot, rather than a "sleep and wake" cycle.

Look around, you'll see a lot of suggestions that frequently rebooting your computer isn't always the best option, due to electric and thermal shock. Those things do indeed reduce the lifespan of these types of electronics. How much? I don't really know. But given that the Sonos isn't designed with an "off" switch, I'd assume that there's a reason.

Television reboot, computets reboot,is that unnecessary? And, is it unnecessary, if my system remains robust? If the argument, is that it will reduce the lifespan of the speaker, thats a problem with the quality of the speakers, in that they can't be used in the way a significant number of people want them to.

Want? If what you want is not recommended by the manufacturer, why should that reflect on the quality of the product? If I "want" to drive a Ferrari off-road, is there a problem with the "quality" of a Ferrari when it bottoms out on a rock?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Yes, but assuming there is a reason isn't evidence. So we either go with the repetitive guidance to turn all electrical items off at the plug or keave them on.

So we have to make a choice. My choice is to turn them off, especially the Connect Amp which gets too hot for my liking. If tgat reduces their lifespan thats a choice i can live with.

And if I can live with that, then that makes my original suggestion for usage a valid one for me, even if someone else might not think it is ideal.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I dont want a Ferrari and neither would I choose to drive it off road.
But then Sonos is a speaker, not a car and I only want to play music on it.
And I can live with how i want to employ my speakers. And take responsibility for doing that.

How did you conclude that a significant number of people want to routinely shutoff the power of their Sonos? The question has come up from time to time, but the majority of people are under the impression that the speaker is drawing a lot of power is intended to be shutdown.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I assumed, I didn't conclude. And you assume that my assumption was drawn directly just from this forum. This isnt the only place to talk about Sonos.

I really don't want to get in to a long discussion about the speakers. I love them, I've used them for 4 years, I've had no problems.

I made a sugestion. I now get that others would not use that way of doing things. But as in my last post I can take responsibility for the way I use tge product.
I assumed, I didn't conclude. And you assume that my assumption was drawn directly just from this forum. This isnt the only place to talk about Sonos.

I didn't assume anything, I asked. I've seen what happens on these forums yes, but it's entirely possible that other forums or survey information may paint a different picture. So I asked.

But sure, doesn't matter in the big picture of things.