How to pair Sonos Beam to turntable that has a pre-amp

• 30 November 2020
  • 16 replies

I have a Sonos beam and now I want to purchase a turntable to play vinyl.  Does the beam connect via bluetooth to the turntable (assuming the turntable has a pre-amp)?  Or do I need a Sonos Port or a Sonos Connect?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

The Beam does not have Bluetooth for music use, only BLE used for setup. You would need a Port/CONNECT, or a Sonos Five/ PLAY:5 for the analog line in.

Even if I buy the Sonos turntable?  With the Port, could I not connect via bluetooth?

If I buy the Play 5, will it be the only speaker available for the turntable or does it also send the signal to my Beam?

The only Sonos device that has normal Bluetooth, for use with music, is the Sonos Move. When used in Bluetooth mode, it is not part of the Sonos network. 

In all cases, in order to get the music from a turntable in to the Sonos ecosystem, you would either need a standard analog line in, or an ADC to the digital line in on one of the Sonos sound bars. 

Once the signal is in the Sonos ecosystem (via the PLAY:5’s line in), it is a standard source, and can be played on any speaker, or group of speakers. 

For a standard analog line in the product I need is the Port, correct?  And what is an ADC?

Thank you

Analog to Digital Converter. The Sonos sound bars all have only digital inputs, either via optical or HDMI ARC.

So it looks like I would be better off with the Play:5.  Not only i it cheaper then the Port, I would also get an additional speaker

Does the Beam have it?  This is what I'm struggling with.  I have a Beam soundbar and want to buy a Sonos turntable.  But it seems like I also need to Buy a Sonos port or a Play 5, which makes the vinyl option quite expensive.

What is ‘it’?

Beam ← HDMI/optical ← optical switch ← TV

← ADC ← preamp (if reqd) ← turntable

It is the digital input.  The beam I have is currently connected to the TV via HDMI.  So it looks like there is no way out of buying the Five or the Port if I want the Beam to also play sound from the Sonos turntable

See diagram above. When selected on the switch, the turntable would play through the ‘TV’ input on the Beam.

So Ratty, does this mean I can connect the Sonos turntable to the Beam?

So Ratty, does this mean I can connect the Sonos turntable to the Beam?

Through the chain of components I sketched above. You’d need an analog-digital converter plus an optical switch, ideally an active one with a little IR remote control.

There is no such think a as Sonos turntable.  Yes, Sonos sells turntables on this site, but these are third party turntables that Sonos has partnered with.  There isn’t any specific Sonos tech built into the turntables.  You still need to physically connect the turntable through an aux analog line in, or use an analog-digital converter type setup as recommend above.