How to fix playback stuttering?

• 19 November 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge

I have Sonos Amp, but also have the problem on an old Connect:Amp. Both are wired, not WiFi. I listen to TuneIn radio.

The problem is that playback begins to stutter after an hour or two of playing. The music cuts in and out repeatedly.

I'm able to resolve the problem by stopping play, then starting again. The same feed no longer stutters for a long while after restarting. But this used not to happen.

Suggestions?

Dave

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @dfoulser.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

First I suggest turning on the wifi feature of the two-component and observe it for a while.

Can you submit a diagnostic report also from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking to keep the components on wired network connection, given I have 4 Amps, a Connect:Amp and a couple other that must be on WiFi. I'd rather reserve the WiFi bandwidth for unwired/unwireable devices in the home.

Also, I'm thinking that the Sonos should be buffering the audio stream. So the stuttering would be either a playback artifact or total lack of sufficient buffering. 

I'll definitely snap a diagnostic when I next hear the problem.

Dave

Badge

Hi Mark.

Diagnostic number is 1400717627. Diag taken while system is stuttering so badly the music is barely playing. System has been playing for several hours.

Ah.... When diagnostic completed the playback improved. Related or coincidence?

Please help.

Dave

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @dfoulser.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

It's just a coincidence.

But if the issue returns again just reply to the thread.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge

Hi Mark. What do you mean coincidence? This happens to me every day. It's really unacceptable. I'll send another diagnostic next time it happens.

Is there something else you can track in the diagnostics to understand the stuttering? Or, can you even tell from the diagnostic that the stuttering is happening?

Dave

Badge

Ok, stuttering happens again after about 2 hours of playback. Diagnostic number is 1540055024 taken while stuttering.

Stops stuttering when I stop and restart the steam.

Send me an email address and I'll forward you a video of how this sounds.

Please fix.

Dave

Badge

Stuttering again after a couple hours of playing. Diagnostic #652599478.

Please fix this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @dfoulser.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

On the recent diagnostic report, it shows there's a lot of wireless interference that's why it keeps on dropping and stuttering.

My advice to you is to try to turn on the wifi option of your Sonos Amp, sometimes we encounter some customers having this kind of issue and when they try to enable the wifi option again on their device they are getting a good result.

I would like to recommend also calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge

I got a case #02316369 from Sonos support for this. “Audio stops and starts.”

Jose suggests that there is not WiFi interference, but there are 5 error code 401’s during the diagnostic, so some connection problems with the TuneIn service.  His suggestions for next steps are:

1. listen to a difference audio source to reproduce the problem (with same rooms)
  2. listen to same audio source with WiFi on in all grouped rooms (same rooms)

capture diagnostics in all cases. Then call back.

That’s my plan.