Question

How to Expand

• 8 November 2016
  • 9 replies

Hi all
First time poster so be gentle with me
OK Set up so far
Play 5 - Hallway
Play 3 - Lounge (next to TV but not connected)
Play 1 - Kitchen
Rooms left
Conservatory
Dinning Room
Guys I am stuck on where to go next. My problem is that I have a fairly good Yamaha AMP which I currently use with the TV and don't want to loose it. I want to link something up to the TV but the Sonos Soundbar is a little pricey for what it is.
So do I get a Sonus AMP or Bridge to connect to my Yamaha and move this to the conservatory where I have a big TV and we do a lot of entertaining. Then by a cheap Soundbar for the TV.
I am open to all sugestions
Thanks in advance
Mark

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How about a Sonos Connect to turn your Yamaha Amp into a Sonos zone - you can then play Sonos music to that AMP and also play TV sound then back to any other Sonos speaker in the house. Sounds like you would like to move that setup then to the Conservatory

Play:5 in lounge then hooked to TV and add a Play:1 to Dining Room. The play:5 hooked to TV will work fine for TV sound just turn down the TV speakers to avoid echo caused by slight delay from Play:5 (which lip sync wise I haven't seen big problem with).
Chris
Thanks for the help
I was thinking along the same lines.
I guess I just wanted someone to push me in the direction of the connect
Thanks again
Mark
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Fyi, the Bridge is ONLY for providing the wireless Sonos mesh network to connect your speakers together. it has no connections other that Ethernet.
I currently run the same type of setup.. I use a receiver and wired surround system with my TV and use a Connect with that if I want to listen to music through that existing setup. I have other Sonos units throughout the rest of the house for music only.
Be aware however, I use this ONLY to listen to music on my existing amp, and not to play the TV sound throughout the rest of the house. This is not possible because the Connect only has a L/R analog input while the TV setup is using surround sound. The L/R output will be just that, it's the L/R speakers and NOT the center channel which is all of your dialog. So basically you will only get ambient surround noises from your Sonos and not the dialog from the TV. If I wanted to hear the TV everywhere I would have to turn off surround sound and switch to stereo only.. if that makes any sense?!
Thanks T00LF00L
I may be being a little thick here but this is what I thought I could do with a Connect.
Use the AMP and the 5.1 set up to watch TV.
When I want to use all the Sonos set up for a party or just to put music through the house, use the connect to play through the AMP to the 5 speakers I have set up to watch TV and the rest of the Sonos set up to play the same music through the rest of the house.
Is that how it would work?
Mark
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
To be clear the AMP is not Sonos but a different brand right?!..
Yes this will work, this is exactly how my setup is! I was just trying to explain if you were also hoping to stream the TV sound through Sonos it won't really work if it's a surround signal, only 2 channel stereo!
But yes the Connect will do exactly what you want to do!
Thanks T00LF00L
No I do not want to stream the TV throughout the house
And No My AMP is a Yamaha so it looks like the connect will do what I want it to do
BUT
Just seen 2 mark 1 Play 5's on Ebay for £550 very tempted to buy these and use these in my set up. Just need to convince she who must be obeyed that we need them lol
Mark
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Haha well I can't help you with that, you're on your own!
But you're welcome, come back anytime!
T00LF00L
Just to let you know my new Sonos Connect arrived yesterday.
I have been told that I am banned from playing with it till all the Christmas jobs are done.
Just a thought
I have a 5 speaker set up through my amp I take it that the Connect will allow the music to broadcast through all these speakers?
Mark
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Yes it will, depending on your receivers settings.. You will get 2 channel stereo through your main L&R speakers, but if you want sound out of all 5 you will need to choose some type of 'simulated' surround sound on the receiver.