Answered

how to connect vinyl player to sound bar/beam..

• 15 August 2020
  • 3 replies

I have read many posts but not found a definitive answer! We currently have a simple, no amp turntable and a sonos sound bar/beam. Investing in one of (no idea which) Sonos amp to connect this vinyl player seems very expensive. Can anyone confirm that if we buy the 

Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB Turntable That we would NOT need to buy any other device to connect the turntable to the sound bar?

icon

Best answer by Paul A 15 August 2020, 16:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Purple46.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to share with you some guides and tips to better understand the situation at hand.

• The Sonos Beam or Sonos Playbar is both Sonos home theater speakers. Which means they are external TV audio speakers. 
  • The Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB Turntable is a turntable with a built-in amp that would work already if connected to a Sonos Play 5, Sonos Port, or Sonos Amp which are considered to be Sonos Music speakers that has a Line-in connection option via 3.5mm headphone port (for the Sonos Play 5 or Sonos Five) and an RCA line-in option ( for the Sonos Port and Sonos Amp) which you can use to group to other Sonos devices with no Line -in option via the Sonos app to get music coming from the turntable to play to the rest of the Sonos devices including the Beam or Playbar.
  • To directly answer your question, (without buying any other devices), it is not possible to connect the Pro-Ject R1 SB Turntable directly to the Sonos Beam or Sonos Playbar. However, if you have a receiver that connects a DVD player or Blueray player to your TV, yes you can use that receiver to connect the turntable to the Beam.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Just to be more clear on that third bullet point, the DVD or Blu-ray player would connect to the TV, and the TV would be connected to the Sonos sound bar. 

In order to connect a turntable to the Sonos ecosystem, you’d need a Sonos device with an analog line in. Much of this is covered in the turntable thread.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

If you are looking for a low cost solution may I suggest the following :

Buy a low cost Phono to Line in external amplifier for your turntable  (typically £20/$26 from eBay or Amazon). This assumes you are sure that the output from your turntable is at phono level, not Line Out.

Search for a used Sonos Connect with a serial number starting 1502 or higher. These later model Connects will support the S2 Sonos App. (To be sure the Connect will run S2, I would look for one with a 16xx serial number to be safe). If you are still using the S1 App and have no plans to move to S2, then you could look for an earlier serial number Connect or even a ZP80 or ZP90. I think I paid £60 for my S2 ready 1602 serial number Connect.

The Line In sockets on the Connect/ZP80/ZP90 will connect to the Line Out connection from your turntable (or external £20 amp) and this will then allow you to play the turntable as a music source through your beam.

Hope this makes sense.