Question

How to connect outdoor TV to Sonos.

I have two outdoor speakers wired to a Sonos Amp in my family room.  I have since mounted an outdoor TV and would like the TV to play through the outdoor Bose speakers and controllable through Sonos amp. Allowing TV to play regular TV through the Bose speakers or changed to play music through the same speakers.  Essentially, the same setup I have in my family room.  What’s the best way to approach this?

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @kvncmpbll23.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to recommend using the Sonos Amp as it is the successor to the Sonos Connect Amp which is the one shown in the picture. As long as the Bose speakers fit the Sonos Amp speaker power requirement which is 125 watts per channel @ 8 ohms, You can connect the Bose speaker to the Sonos Amp via speaker wire, then connect the Sonos Amp to your TV via HDMI ARC or HDMI to optical adapter that comes with the Sonos Amp. The Sonos Amp is a multi-system Sonos Device as it can act as your Home theater system or music system.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Is there any way to do this without running new wires?  In other words, could I just connect something to the back of the TV and have it wireless communicate with the other Sonos amp that I already have in my family room?  The wires from the family room to the outside are already there and adding an HDMI would be difficult.  Could I put the Sonos AMP behind the TV, connect it to the TV with the HDMI and then connect the wires from the Bose speakers to the Sonos amp?  Also, this product will be outside (covered) but will be in heat and cold.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @kvncmpbll23.

Thanks for your detailed and immediate response.

Is there any way to do this without running new wires? Yes there is, All we need to do is remove the Sonos Connect Amp from its current location and replace it with the Sonos Amp. You may want to consider changing the RCA cables that was used to connect the speakers to the Connect Amp and use the Banana plugs that comes with the Sonos Amp. No need to run new wires.

Could I put the Sonos AMP behind the TV, connect it to the TV with the HDMI and then connect the wires from the Bose speakers to the Sonos amp?  Also, this product will be outside (covered) but will be in heat and cold.   yes you can connect the Sonos Amp to the TV via HDMI cable.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

I don’t have RCA going into the back of the current Sonos connect amp.  It’s actual speaker wire going into the connect amp.  Does that change things?

First off, you actually have a Connect:amp, not a Sonos Amp.  The Connect:amp isn’t designed to work with your TV and does not have a port for HDMI-ARC like the Sonos Amp does.

There isn’t really going to be a good way to get TV audio on your Sonos Amp witnout using an HDMI cable.  You could use an HDMI over CAT5 extender, but that will still require you to run another wire.  You could try a wireless HDMI solution, but I think that would issues going through your exterior wall, and not sure that these are designed to carry an ARC signal.

You could theoretically put a Sonos Amp outside, behind the TV or something, and rewire the speaker wires, but that may not give you a clean look, and risk your Sonos amp being damaged outside.  There are outdoor enclosures available (google ‘Sonos Amp Outdoor Enclosure’) that other’s have had success with.

Userlevel 7

Hi @kvncmpbll23 

To get TV sound to a Sonos Connect: AMP using 3rd party speakers

Run RCA-out from the TV to RCA-in on the Connect: Amp. (Pic 1)

To get TV sound to the Sonos Amp using 3rd party speakers:

Good: Run RCA-out from the TV to RCA-in on the Sonos Amp (Pic 2)

Better: Connect HDMI cable using the Sonos HDMI-Optical adapter to the Optical-out port of the TV and connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI-ARC port of the Sonos Amp (Pic 3)

Best: Connect HDMI cable between the HDMI-ARC port on the TV to the HDMI-ARC port of the Sonos Amp (Pic 4)

In truth I would not recommend using RCA cables unless no other options are viable.

FYI, the recommended HDMI cable packaging should note as suitable for “High Speed” or up to “18Gbs” or both. Neither the Connect: Amp nor Sonos Amp are designed for unprotected/unshielded outdoor use. 

Cheers!

Ok thank you.  I think the best bet is to connect a Sonos Amp to the TV Via HDMI and then run speaker wire to the individual speakers.  I could put the Sonos Amp behind the TV outside.  The outside TV is in a covered patio so it won’t get wet but would be exposed to heat and cold (Live in Cleveland).  Do you think the Sonos Amp can survive outside?  What if we brought it in during the winter and reconnected in the spring?

Ok thank you.  I think the best bet is to connect a Sonos Amp to the TV Via HDMI and then run speaker wire to the individual speakers.  I could put the Sonos Amp behind the TV outside.  The outside TV is in a covered patio so it won’t get wet but would be exposed to heat and cold (Live in Cleveland).  Do you think the Sonos Amp can survive outside?  What if we brought it in during the winter and reconnected in the spring?

It’s just not rated for outdoor use like that.  Yes, taking it inside during more extreme conditions should help, but you’re essentially voiding the warranty, taking a risk.  You’re already taking a risk with your TV (I assume it’s not outdoor rated) so maybe that’s ok with you.   

I’d consider two alternatives.  One, get a soundbar out there, something decent but cheap, instead of hooking the TV to the existing speakers.  It could be a Beam, but doesn’t need to be Sonos.  You won’t have to worry about rewiring anything or damaging a $650 amp.  The sound may be a little better as it’s coming from the direction of the TV.

Or Two, bite the bullet and get a pro to put in an HDMI wire between the Family Room and outdoor TV.  But have them put in 2 HDMI lines, one for the audio, and a second one as a link between your Family Room TV and outdoor TV (using an HDMI splitter).  That way you can have both TVs play the same thing in sync.  You can watch the Browns (if you’re still watching football) with folks watching inside and outside, or migrating between both.

I’m thinking beam is best option. Mount below tv, connect to tv, and then whenever I want create a group between the beam and the existing Bose speakers. That would work right?  Any downside?  And thank you to everyone for your help!!!

As long as the Sonos Amp is bonded to the Beam so as to be driving those BOSE speakers as surrounds, you’d be fine. If you intend the BOSE speakers to be carrying the front signal from the TV (right and left front), there will be a 75ms delay between the Beam’s ‘room’ and the grouped Amp’s ‘room’. 

LOL.  Ok thank you.  Is 75ms noticeable?

If the speakers are both ‘hearable’ at the same time, yes. If they’re not, for instance in two different rooms, it’s not an issue….but that’s me. Different people have different tolerances. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello

I had a similar issue, I used a pair of optical to cat 6 converters, then at the amp end use the optical to hdmi convertor.

My Amp sits in different room to the tv, and I have no lip sync issues, so far