How to connect an old Zenith record console to Sonos?

Hi and thanks for the help. I'm on the verge of procuring an old record console from the 60's but want to make sure I can connect it to my system. I know the unit has RCA jacks labeled "tape in" and "tape out", and no headphone jack. Like consoles of it's time, it has two speakers, a radio, and the turntable. My Sonos system consists of a Playbar and Sub, 5 in-ceiling speakers with Connect:Amps attached, and a loose play 5 that I put in the most applicable room at the time.
I think my solution is a Connect (not a Connect:amp) which when attached with RCA cables to the RCA in/out jacks on the connect will allow music streaming on my Sonos system to play through the console speakers and also allow vinyl playing on the console to play through the console speakers and the rest of my Sonos speakers. Am I right?
I need a plug and play solution. Just want to make sure I'm doing this right before I sink a bunch of money into this.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Do you have a Home Goods store nearby? They sometimes have some decent AV cabinets in stock. Usually made in India or Vietnam, but some look nice, and appear well made. Spotted a really nice Mid-Century Modern cabinet there a couple months back, was tempted, but no room.

They just opened one not far from me... I will go check it out!
Happy hacking!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Something like this IKEA Besta hack looks nice, and provides record storage, to boot.

https://www.ikeahackers.net/2014/09/mid-century-modern-record-console.html

I love that. I don't know if my 80's Pioneer will fit but I'm going to give it a damn good go. Thanks, Chicks.
Something like this IKEA Besta hack looks nice, and provides record storage, to boot.

https://www.ikeahackers.net/2014/09/mid-century-modern-record-console.html

Do you have a Home Goods store nearby? They sometimes have some decent AV cabinets in stock. Usually made in India or Vietnam, but some look nice, and appear well made. Spotted a really nice Mid-Century Modern cabinet there a couple months back, was tempted, but no room.

I'm using a small antique Chinese painted cabinet found on Craigslist to house my Connect:Amp and phono preamp, with a nice old ELAC turntable sitting on top (with its own dustcover). Looks great, and super simple to use, with the Line In set to auto detect the preamp's signal.

I am not sure that putting speakers that are inside one box - like the play units are - inside another cabinet will be good for the resultant sound quality.

Why not look for a used turntable that has the classic/antique look and wiring that to a preamp and thence to a play 5 outside a cabinet? Or, if you must have the look everywhere, why not add a Connect and an amp and wire that to a pair of wood veneered passive speakers? The preamp, Connect and stereo amp can be kept out of sight with no effect on sound quality as long as they get ventilated. And you could even use a Connect Amp, in place of Connect + third party amp, if your speakers can be driven by the 55 watts of the Connect Amp.

If I could find a decent Barzilay-esque cabinet to complete the look, this would work great!

Can anyone point me towards units similar to the Barzilay that might be less rare? Maybe something still in production?
Barzilay made some great cabinets that you could put quality components (Pioneer, Sansui, McIntosh, etc) into. They're hard to find now, though, and tend to be pricey.
I appreciate the education. I didn't know Barzilay was a thing, but now that you have sent me looking, that's exactly what I'd hope to accomplish with this project. You are right that they are both rare and pricey, perhaps I just have to keep looking to find a good one.
Perhaps chicks will post a picture of his antique/Sonos set up for you to get an idea!
I am not sure that putting speakers that are inside one box - like the play units are - inside another cabinet will be good for the resultant sound quality.

Why not look for a used turntable that has the classic/antique look and wiring that to a preamp and thence to a play 5 outside a cabinet? Or, if you must have the look everywhere, why not add a Connect and an amp and wire that to a pair of wood veneered passive speakers? The preamp, Connect and stereo amp can be kept out of sight with no effect on sound quality as long as they get ventilated. And you could even use a Connect Amp, in place of Connect + third party amp, if your speakers can be driven by the 55 watts of the Connect Amp.
A thought about the use of Tape In/Out sockets to avoid sync delays - if a Connect was wired to these, to its line out/in sockets, and with the vinyl playing, the Tape In was selected as the input on the console, would not everything be in sync? The signal from the vinyl would go to the Connect and then to other Sonos speakers at the same time as it comes back to the console at its Tape In sockets and only thence to the console speakers, which would then be in sync with Sonos.

I could be wrong, but I thought it worth a mention.

This makes sense to me, but based on the reply by airgetlam, I think it is more complicated than I understand or could try to overcome.

Yeah, the components in most consoles, with some exceptions, were pretty mediocre. Barzilay made some great cabinets that you could put quality components (Pioneer, Sansui, McIntosh, etc) into. They're hard to find now, though, and tend to be pricey.
I don't think I could be described as an audiophile, and as you can tell, I'm certainly a noob. If it sounds as good as my Sonos, I'm thrilled. The old Zenith components are probably good enough for my application. But you make a great point, old equipment that wasn't that great to begin with shouldn't be expensive the second time around.

Brian,

Hopefully some clarity. When playing from the CONNECT (anything streamed by Sonos), all speakers would be in sync.

When playing something from the console (radio, record player, etc), the speakers of the console will be slightly ahead of any Sonos speakers that you have grouped.

This has to do with the fact that Sonos has to both digitize and buffer for playing across the network, so there's a slight delay, around 70ms at the least, although it can be more, depending on the way you have to set up the analog input on the Sonos.

Does the console have it's own power for the built in speakers? I'd have thought so, and if that is the case, then no need for the CONNECT:AMP., a simple CONNECT will do for you, since the console's speakers will be powered by the console, and not the Sonos. Now, if you're pulling the amplifier out of the console completely, and just using the built in speakers, then that changes everything.

Okay, that's what I thought you were saying, and that's how I understood the amp as well.

With the delay issues, as the vintage equipment concerns, I'm back to thinking about finding an empty cabinet and filling it with Sonos/Pro-ject equipment.

Anyone else with any good advice for me? I appreciate everyone's help.
Brian,

Hopefully some clarity. When playing from the CONNECT (anything streamed by Sonos), all speakers would be in sync.

When playing something from the console (radio, record player, etc), the speakers of the console will be slightly ahead of any Sonos speakers that you have grouped.

This has to do with the fact that Sonos has to both digitize and buffer for playing across the network, so there's a slight delay, around 70ms at the least, although it can be more, depending on the way you have to set up the analog input on the Sonos.

Does the console have it's own power for the built in speakers? I'd have thought so, and if that is the case, then no need for the CONNECT:AMP., a simple CONNECT will do for you, since the console's speakers will be powered by the console, and not the Sonos. Now, if you're pulling the amplifier out of the console completely, and just using the built in speakers, then that changes everything.
Yeah, the components in most consoles, with some exceptions, were pretty mediocre. Barzilay made some great cabinets that you could put quality components (Pioneer, Sansui, McIntosh, etc) into. They're hard to find now, though, and tend to be pricey.
A thought about the use of Tape In/Out sockets to avoid sync delays - if a Connect was wired to these, to its line out/in sockets, and with the vinyl playing, the Tape In was selected as the input on the console, would not everything be in sync? The signal from the vinyl would go to the Connect and then to other Sonos speakers at the same time as it comes back to the console at its Tape In sockets and only thence to the console speakers, which would then be in sync with Sonos.

I could be wrong, but I thought it worth a mention.
There's companies online that restore them and make the components work again and refinish the cabinets. I'm looking for one both as a piece of furniture and for it's vinyl-playing abilities. Not many options. The Wrensilva fits the bill, but seems a bit too sure of itself for a painted-white cabinet with stock components (I have other ways to spend $5k...)
I'm looking for solid wood. If I could find an old one, solid walnut, in reasonable shape for cheap, I'd gut it and just put a Pro-Ject turntable and a couple of Play:5s in it and be done. Maybe that's a better option?
I'll take advice if someone has a solution they like better. I don't own the console yet...
I hope by “sink a bunch of money” you don’t mean into this old console. Used to be you couldn’t give those things away, nobody wanted them.
Thanks, Bruce. Let me go a step further to make sure I understand. Because the console speakers are analog, the console speakers and the Sonos speakers will be out of sync. My options then would be to either listen to vinyl only on the console speakers, or turn the console down and listen only on Sonos speakers, listen on all speakers but out of sync (and therefore unlistenable), because there is no 4th option to overcome the delay. Do I have it right?
I thought the Connect was the right solution, but reading this other thread https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/connect-amp-rca-victor-record-console-6801140 makes it look like I would need the Connect:Amp. Any advice?
Thank you.

Brian
Yes, kind of. It will absolutely work when playing music from Sonos to the console, using the analog out in the CONNECT to the tape in on the console.

The challenge you will have is when playing something on the console, and pushing it to any other Sonos speakers in addition to the console speakers. They’ll work, it’s just that there is a small delay, around 70 ms and up, depending on the analog input’s setting, that will cause the Sonos speakers be out of sync with the console’s speakers.