how many wired speakers can you connect to a connect:amp?

• 25 October 2013
  • 8 replies

I have 6 speakers in the ceiling but don't need 3 zones. Can I connect more than 2 speakers to a connect:amp?

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Depends from the impedance. Lowest allowed is 4 Ohm pro channel. So two 8 ohm speakers parallel results in 4 Ohm and is OK. To have 3 speakers for each channel on 1 connect:amp you can connect 4 Ohm speakers serial, results in 12 Ohm which is allowed, but you will not achieve rated power.
Userlevel 2
Additionally, if you use three 16 ohm speakers is parallel, it results in a 5,33 Ohm load, which is allowed and you will achieve nearly 80% from the rated power. Found such speakers on http://www.apart-audio.com/
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hello,

Here's a bit more information to expand for you. This FAQ shows setting up 4 speakers to the CONNECT:AMP in parallel.

Cheers.
Userlevel 2
Hello,

Here's a bit more information to expand for you. This FAQ shows setting up 4 speakers to the CONNECT:AMP in parallel.

Cheers.

The Polk speaker is 8 Ohm impedance. If you hook up one speaker on either channel it must be also 8 Ohm, if you connect them parallel. The result for that channel is 4 Ohm. Consequence is that the Polks will not play the same volume and secondly the extra speaker will only play one channel of the stereo signal. I think you better hook up the extra speaker on both the + of each channel. It has to be a 8 Ohm speaker. The volume of the Polks will be balanced and the extra speaker will play the complete signal in Mono
Hello,

Cheers.

Audio amplifiers are constant voltage devices. Connecting speakers in parallel is very similar to wiring lamps on a circuit. There is very little interaction between the speakers (bulbs) and you can continue adding speakers (bulbs) until the current limit is reached. For a CONNECT:AMP the limit is reached at two pairs of 8-Ohm speakers. Adding a second speaker will not change the output level of the first speaker unless you step over the current limit. If one connects a speaker between the amplifier's (+) terminals the speaker will respond to the difference between the two channels. If a mono signal is played, the output from this speaker will be zero. I don't recommend using this approach with a CONNECT:AMP.
Userlevel 2
Hello,

Cheers.

Thank you for the replies, I'm not super technical so I'm going to ask for clarification on this.  I'm looking at buying this speaker ( http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=RS5%20Granite%20Pro&recordID=Weatherproof%20Rock%20... ).  it is 8ohm.  So should I be hooking this up to both the L hook-up for speaker 1 and the R hook-up for speaker 2?  Or just hook it up to one of the two speaker's L & R?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hello,

Cheers.

Andrew - you mentioned you wanted to hook up a single rock speaker.  This is not a stereo speaker.  You want a stereo speaker that hooks to both the right and the left terminals which in this brand end in SI - such as http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=RS6Si Coral Pro&recordID=Weatherproof Rock Loudspeakers&categoryID=Speakers&catcdID=&prdcdID=FG01691

You can hook this speaker to the Connect:Amp L/R terminals along with the polk speakers.

You could also instead go with the Polk matching ourdoor sub to the connect:Amp with the Atriums http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AM3386--Atrium-Speaker/dp/B0027G3E6W/ref=sr_1_14/177-1589206-988376...
Andrew,

The "SI" versions have two sets of speaker wire terminals. For most practical purposes the SI version behaves as a pair of speakers mounted in a single box.

In a situation where there only one SI speaker will be used, one would run both Left and Right wires to each speaker. Each of these connections would be an 8-Ohm speaker as far as the amplifier is concerned. If you plan to have two speakers, it is probably best if you use standard speakers in a Left-Right pair. If you use two of the SI speakers, connecting Left and Right to both speakers, this will be the limit as far as the CONNECT:AMP is concerned. If the speakers are very far apart, attempting to use them as conventional stereo speakers may not work out well because at most listening positions either the Left or Right will dominate and half of the music will be missing.

Another application for a "single point" stereo speaker would be in a bathroom where there is not enough space for a pair of speakers.