Answered

How do I reconnect Sonos after changing to a new wifi router?

• 29 December 2013
  • 53 replies

I just replaced my wireless router and now can't connect to my sonos system. Any advice?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 6 November 2015, 01:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Neither of the options discussed here have worked for me. Recently replaced my router, sound was still coming through from my T.V. but could not connect through any controllers (iphone5s, iphone6, laptop). I've reset all the controllers and I get the message that "no existing system can be found".

I have a BOOST hard wired to my router. I've toggled the power to it several times to no avail. I've directly hard wired my PLAYBAR to the router and toggled the power, with nothing happening as well. (All of this was done with both original controller and reconfigured one).

I've factory reset both the BOOST and the PLAYBAR, and have tried to setup as a new SONOS system. The BOOST will not connect... Nor do I get any sound from my T.V.

It's a sad, quiet house.
Just got a new router. My Play: 3 doesn't play anymore because it can't find my wireless network.

My controller app tells me to go to settings > advanced settings > wireless setup.

Only, when I'm not connected to my router via ethernet, I can't do anything in the app, and when I am wired, and I go to settings, there isn't actually an option "advanced settings". And no "wireless setup" either.

Now what?
With the play:3 wired you can see it and connect to it? If so, check in settings, about my Sonos system and tell us what versions are installed on the controller and the play:3. You only lose the advanced settings when you have a version mismatch.

For a bonus point I'm going to say that you're using an iPhone controller and you've signed up to the beta program.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, we have a great FAQ here with directions on exactly what to do when you replace your router: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061 Basically it's a matter of wiring one of your devices into the network, restarting them all, and putting in the new credentials for the wireless.

Make sure you're connecting to an existing system, not creating a new one. You don't want to lose all of your settings.
I can connect to the play:3 when it's wired. I have version 5.5 on my controller and 6.0 on the play:3
@ Ryan S: the whole point is that hooking up my play:3 didn't do anything.
@ The LHC: thanks for your quick reply!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I can connect to the play:3 when it's wired. I have version 5.5 on my controller and 6.0 on the play:3

Was this a mistype? If not, and you can get connected with one wired in, you then need to go into settings and adjust the wireless settings to the new wireless credentials.

@ Ryan S: the whole point is that hooking up my play:3 didn't do anything.
@ The LHC: thanks for your quick reply!

LHC's directions were correct, I wanted to put a post up that'd be a good answer for the main question should others find this thread. It sounds like you're all set, but just let me know if you have any other questions.
Bingo, I win! Did you sign up for the beta program for any particular reason? In order to get your advanced settings back you either need to leave the beta program or you need to use a non-iOS controller with version 6 installed, that'll give you the advanced settings in order to reconfigure the wireless settings. Then you can go back to using the iOS controller.
No, I'm still stuck with the same problem.

Like I said before, when I'm connected by ethernet, I don't have the option "wireless setup" in my app, so I don't know where to change to my new wireless credentials.

And I now know that my controller and my play: 3 run different versions (thanks LHC!), but I can't update my controller to the higher version. I checked, and there aren't any updates.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Bingo, I win! Did you sign up for the beta program for any particular reason? In order to get your advanced settings back you either need to leave the beta program or you need to use a non-iOS controller with version 6 installed, that'll give you the advanced settings in order to reconfigure the wireless settings. Then you can go back to using the iOS controller.

I think you're bonus point is correct, but I'm just guessing too.

Only, when I'm not connected to my router via ethernet, I can't do anything in the app, and when I am wired, and I go to settings, there isn't actually an option "advanced settings". And no "wireless setup" either.

This sounds like either he's on beta, or maybe the iOS app updated and the players haven't updated to the latest version yet. Easy way to check Dennis is to go to Settings > About Sonos and see what versions are listed. If your players are on 6.0 than you're running the public beta, and you'll need to either use a different controller, or leave the beta.
Thanks for clarifying, LHC. I only registered for the beta programme, because I thought it might be fun, and hey, I like helping people and businesses, which I thought this might.

But I'm clearly too stupid for this sort of stuff. Basically, I just wanna play my music. But it seems that nothing is easy with Sonos. I only have a new wireless id and password, that's all. So why am I now coming up against all sorts of other stuff that needs to be changed? And don't get me started on using Spotify on Sonos. Lol
PS: How do I leave the beta? (You see how stupid I am...) 😉
PPS: this must be a good day for me, because I just managed to leave the beta program. Hallelujah!
The problem here is that there is no beta version for iOS, so 5.5 is as high as you can go, hence the mismatch. It catches a lot of people out. Go back to the web page where you signed up for the beta and you should be able to leave it. Then run an update again on the play:3 and that should prompt it to downgrade to 5.5.
Bingo. It worked. Thanks so much LHC.

I'd listen to some music now, if it weren't already 2am. Hahaha.

Have a good one!
No worries, have fun!
Userlevel 2
I struggled with the setup routine several times using the one player that was most easily unplugged from its existing location and moved it to where I could connect via Ethernet cable to my new Verizon Fios router. I was getting Sonos to recognize that player but others were not seen or dropped off network after I moved player back into its position. Thanks to some hints in this thread I figured out that I need to wire each player directly to the router, probably for firmware updates. After doing so, all seems to be well.
Badge +1
I could not connect my Sonos speakers to my wireless network with the iOS app either. I switched to the Sonos app on my Mac and it works perfectly, however. I think the complication was that I have multiple networks at home. The OS X app prompted me for the network ssid, the mobile app did not ask for any information about the wireless network.
Badge +1
Reseting the controller on my iPhone allowed it to see the Sonos network. Problem solved !
Hi,
I got a Sonos play1 for christmas, I couldn't wait to test it so I set it up to my parents' house. It worked perfectly.
Now I'm back at my place, so different wifi. IMPOSSIBLE to connect the Sonos. My iphone app won't detect it, nor the Mac app. I've tried everything recommanded by Sonos, or from this thread, nothing works.
It's really frustruating. What can I do? 😞
Hi,
I got a Sonos play1 for christmas, I couldn't wait to test it so I set it up to my parents' house. It worked perfectly.
Now I'm back at my place, so different wifi. IMPOSSIBLE to connect the Sonos. My iphone app won't detect it, nor the Mac app. I've tried everything recommanded by Sonos, or from this thread, nothing works.
It's really frustruating. What can I do? :(

Wire it to your router temporarily, to change the stored WiFi details.
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061
@ratty I did that. I followed all the steps explained on Sonos.com, it didn't work at all. I plugged it with the Ethernet cable to the router but the app still didn't recognize the Play1. It was just saying the device wasn't connected to the same wifi than my iphone and that I should change settings in the Settings > wi-fi menu. But I didn't have access to the menu anymore! which was the whole problem!
I was sick of it not working so I rebooted my Play:1. It was super easy, it works perfectly now!
It's crazy that they don't recommend to do that anywhere, they even discourage you so much to do that, I don't see why, really.
I guess you didn't just reboot the PLAY:1. You presumably factory reset it and set it up afresh.

Factory reset is discouraged because (a) it rarely fixes common connectivity problems, (b) it wipes data which might be useful for Sonos' troubleshooting, and (c) it erases any user-created data such as Sonos Playlists.
@ratty By reboot yes I meant factory reset.
There was no other way, to be honest. It just could not find the sonos, I tried for a solid hour.
I didnt have any playlist, so I didn't care. As for Sonos troubleshooting data, don't really care about that either since I wasn't allowing the app to share data for that anyway. I complained on Twitter, which I guess does the job ;))))

Anyway thanks!
Userlevel 2
Badge
I configured my Sonos system (Play:1's, PLAY:3, CONNECT:AMP, CONNECT, PlayBar, Sub) using my eero router. Worked fine for months. Then I was debugging some Comcast cable internet issues and switch to a Netgear router (turn off my eero system temporarily) which broadcast the same SSID. Then after my debugging was done (a few hours), I brought the eero system back up, and now none of my wireless Sonos players are found. It took a LONG time for the CONNECT:AAMP (wired) to show up, I had to power-cycle the PlayBar and Sub, then they showed up, the CONNECT (wireless) and the PLAY1:'s and PLAY:3 (all wireless) are not showing up. It's really inconvenient for me to have to go around and unplug and re-plug all the wireless Sonos players when the router they were originally connected to and associated with is now online again with same same SSID and same password. Can someone from Sonos tell me why the wireless Sonos player can't reconnect to my WiFI network automatically but my printers, phones, tablets, TVs, media players and pool controller all can?