Answered

How do I reconnect Sonos after changing to a new wifi router?

• 29 December 2013
  • 53 replies

I just replaced my wireless router and now can't connect to my sonos system. Any advice?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 6 November 2015, 01:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello,

The first thing you need to make sure you do after replacing your wireless router is restarting every one of your Sonos components. You'll want to unplug them each for a good 5 seconds before plugging them back in. They should all reconnect automatically after that, once they get IP addresses from the new network.

If you're still having trouble, you probably are getting interference from the new router, but make sure that your wired Sonos component is still plugged into that new router, and your wireless devices are connected to that router too.

Cheers.
did not fix the problem
Same problem. I have a new Netgear R7000 and cant get the bridge to connect. I get a red light on the router where the bridge Is plugged in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
did not fix the problem
Hi Robert,

If you've rebooted your players and are still having connection issues we'll need a bit more information here to assist. What is the new router you're working with? Which of our controllers are you trying to use?

Make sure any firewalls are configured on your computer as they may detect the new router as a new network profile. 

Also, make sure you're on the new wireless network, not a neighbors or the old one.

Check that the cable between your router and your BRIDGE or other Sonos component is firmly plugged in on both ends too.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Same problem. I have a new Netgear R7000 and cant get the bridge to connect. I get a red light on the router where the bridge Is plugged in.
Hi User302058,

I see that you've already been in touch with our Customer Care Team over the phone and that you were having trouble with your computer's McAfee firewall configuration. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
I'm having the same issue.  I replaced an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station with the next generation Airport Extreme.  I've done everything recommended on this thread and still cannot connect.
Userlevel 2
Me, too. I just replaced my 10 year old LINKSys WRT54G Wireless Router with the latest LinkSys AC3200 Router. But, then my sonos stopped working. The sonos app can no longer find my sonos players.  Tried everything. No luck.

Tried connecting to existing sonos system through the app, and got to the screen which says

WIRELESS SETUP

1. Open the iPhone settings and tap on "Wi-Fi"
2 Tap on 'SONOS' in the list of networks.
3. Return to the Sonos app,and press NEXT to continue.

So, I went to settings > Wi-Fi on my iphone, but then, there is no WiFi network named "SONOS" for me to choose!  If I choose other, and manually attempt to join SONOS, the iOS 8.0.1 system says "Cound not find the network "SONOS".

My SONOS system does work if I hard-wire connect my Play:1 to my AC3200 router through an ethernet cable. And the other Play:1 and the Play:5 also works.

As soon as I unplug the ethernet cable, all 3 stop working.

Also tried to reset one of the play:1 to factory settings according to the instruction given at https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096 , but it refuses to get reset!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Me, too. I just replaced my 10 year old LINKSys WRT54G Wireless Router with the latest LinkSys AC3200 Router. But, then my sonos stopped working. The sonos app can no longer find my sonos players.  Tried everything. No luck.

Tried connecting to existing sonos system through the app, and got to the screen which says

WIRELESS SETUP

So, I went to settings > Wi-Fi on my iphone, but then, there is no WiFi network named "SONOS" for me to choose!  If I choose other, and manually attempt to join SONOS, the iOS 8.0.1 system says "Cound not find the network "SONOS".

My SONOS system does work if I hard-wire connect my Play:1 to my AC3200 router through an ethernet cable. And the other Play:1 and the Play:5 also works.

Also tried to reset one of the play:1 to factory settings according to the instruction given at https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096 , but it refuses to get reset!

Hi Aaron,

The directions here are a bit old as they are before the Wireless Setup option existed. Can you wire one of your Sonos players to the new router and then choose the BRIDGE setup option if your controller doesn't automatically find your Sonos players?

An existing Sonos system shouldn't need to be re-setup when you change the router, they just need to get connection information. If you wire one in, and are on the correct wireless network (your home wifi) with the iPhone, it should automatically connect without any button presses.

Then you can go into WiFi settings inside the Sonos software and configure the wireless to connect to your new network.

Thanks.
Userlevel 2

WIRELESS SETUP

Thanks, for your prompt support. Let me give it a try now.
Userlevel 2

WIRELESS SETUP

I chose the CONNECT or BRIDGET setup option, but that requires me to connect Player 1 to the router through an Ethernet cable, which I know works as I said above. But once I unplug the ethernet cable, all 3 stop working, and the iphone sonos app can't find them.
Userlevel 2

WIRELESS SETUP

The app screen says:

Trying to connect to your network...
Please move within range of your
wireless network or check your network settings.
Ensure this controller is
connected to the same network as your sonos system.
Userlevel 2

WIRELESS SETUP

Also tried to reset one of the play:1 to factory settings according to the instruction given at https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096, but it refuses to get reset!

More information: 

If I use the sonos software for my windows desktop, I can stream music to it without the player being hard-wired to the router.
Userlevel 2
So, I called the sonos tech support this morning, and the representative was still not able to solve the issue. Basically everything I was told to do I've tried it myself many times. The issue will be escalated to 2nd tier. I really doubt the 2nd tier will be able to solve it. Because I seriously suspect that the sonos system simply does not work with newer routers.

The representative did teach me how to properly reset the sonos player. So, the reset was successful.

Then I tried to set up the player as a new system. But then the iphone sonos app reports that it can't connect to my wifi, although my iphone is in the wifi and I can browse the internet from the phone without a problem.

Clueless, frustrated, so I switched back to my old router Linksys WRT54G. Reset the player to factory setting, and set it up successfully.

This is really bad. My Linksys WRT54G can only give me a maximum download speed of 10M/s, but my Linksys AC3200 can double that speed.

Does this mean I have to stay with my old router and give up Linksys AC3200 benefits?  Or I can give up sonos. I will search for other wifi speakers in the market.
Userlevel 2
So, I called the sonos tech support this morning, and the representative was still not able to solve the issue. Basically everything I was told to do I've tried it myself many times. The issue will be escalated to 2nd tier. I really doubt the 2nd tier will be able to solve it. Because I seriously suspect that the sonos system simply does not work with newer routers.

The representative did teach me how to properly reset the sonos player. So, the reset was successful.

Then I tried to set up the player as a new system. But then the iphone sonos app reports that it can't connect to my wifi, although my iphone is in the wifi and I can browse the internet from the phone without a problem.

Clueless, frustrated, so I switched back to my old router Linksys WRT54G. Reset the player to factory setting, and set it up successfully.

This is really bad. My Linksys WRT54G can only give me a maximum download speed of 10M/s, but my Linksys AC3200 can double that speed.

Does this mean I have to stay with my old router and give up Linksys AC3200 benefits?  Or I can give up sonos. I will search for other wifi speakers in the market.

dfa sdfaSDF
Userlevel 2
I see Philippe has a similar problem here:

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/new_router_problems

Basically,  a lot of people have problem using sonos once they switch to a newer router. That's a sign of some faulty design and/or implementation on the sonos side, which they don't seem to agree. But you can't ignore the fact. Do a google search and you will find tons of such problems. And it's been a while, yet there is still no solutions.
Userlevel 3

Hi Aaron, Check the firmware version on the router, there was a note on the Web stating an issue with STP which was subsequently fixed with firmware release. 1.0.0.90. The current release is 1.0.0.102. Graham
Userlevel 2

Thank you. I did a search with "issue with STP linksys", but haven't seen anything related to Linksys AC3200. I doubt it has anything to do with the router. The more I brainstorm about the situation, I am more convinced that it is the iPhone Sonos app issue. Somehow this app is implemented in a way that's incompatible with newer wifi signals.  

It is incorrect for me to say yesterday that the sonos system simply does not work with newer routers. Apparently the sonos system works with the new Linksys AC3200 router because as I mentioned, I can stream music to it from the Windows Sonos application even when the sonos system is NOT hard wired to my home network.

And also as I mentioned, the iphone sonos app is able to find my sonos system IF AND ONLY IF one player is hard-wired to the Linksys AC3200 network.

So, the situation is pretty clear:

A link between the iphone sonos app and the sonos system can't be established when the sonos players are wirelessly connected to the Linksys AC3200 network.

I believe that the iPhone sonos app is implemented based on some old protocol or whatever that's incompatible with newer routers such as Linksys AC3200, whereas the sonos players themselves are fine with such new routers.

My preliminary conclusion is that Sonos needs to update their iphone app, and this is why I doubt their 2nd tier support will be able to solve it.

It's very easy for Sonos to verify: Get a Linksys AC3200 and see if they can set up their sonos players wirelessly, if they can, tell their customers how to do it. I doubt it will happen.
Sorry if this is necrobumping, but I finally figured out how to do it (and relatively painlessly). Some background: I had three Sonos speakers on one wifi network, and bought a new router (Netgear AC1450, flashed to Netgear AC1750/R6300v2) because on the old one lossless m4a streaming was stuttering/dropped often. I figured I should get a new, faster router and see if the issue goes away. After some fiddling around the Android Sonos Controller app, I finally migrated all three of my speakers to the new wifi network using these steps: 1. Hook up new router to existing router via ethernet; configure new router with new SSID and password. 2. Hook up one speaker to old router via ethernet; in the Android controller app, go to Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Wireless Setup, changed SSID to that of the new router's (make sure to select the 2.4GHZ network if your router broadcasts in both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ), input the password, and clicked Next/OK/whatever to complete the Wireless Setup. 3. Unplugged the ethernet cable from my Play 5. And that's it. After connecting my phone to the new network and rebooted the controller app (need to kill the app, don't let it run in the background), the controller app found the speakers, which means that the speakers and the controller phone are now the same, new network. And so far, I have had no issues with streaming lossless over my new router. Hope this helps others who Google this topic as well.
I'm having a similar issue.   Thanks for all ideas on how to fix this and add me to the growing list of people complaining to Sonos about this problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm having a similar issue.  
Hi Blake, were you connecting Sonos to your network wireless only or did you have one player wired in?

If you were wireless only and replaced the router, you probably need to wire one player to the network, restart the others, then adjust the wireless settings within the Sonos software to the new wireless configuration.

If you were wired in, make sure that connection is good, and restart all of your Sonos components.

Let us know how it goes, and if you're still having trouble, some more information about your setup would be great.
I'm having a similar issue.  
I connected my play 1 to my new router via Ethernet cable, then opened the android app, then looked up settings/advanced settings/wireless setup. Then choose my router and put in the password, and bingo.
Alright guys I figured it out if anyone is having problems now or in the future. So I just moved and am using a whole new router and modem etc... It wouldnt connect and I was getting all of the same issues. First thing first, plug a sonos into your router, then unplug the sonos, count to 5 and replug into the socket. Once i did this my controller (iphone 6 app) told me I was connected, but this is only through the hardwire. If you notice there was a message saying go to settings -> advanced settings -> wireless setup... Only you cant access it unless you are connected. So once ur connected via the hardwire, do the advanced settings wireless setup process and have your new network and password and you are golden. Test it by playing a song and unplugging the cable once it begins to play. Your sonos will stop, but then go back to your music re-select your song and it will begin to play wirelessly once again. Hope this helps to all in the past and future who have encountered this!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Alright guys I figured it out if anyone is having problems now or in the future. So I just moved and am using a whole new router and modem etc... It wouldnt connect and I was getting all of the same issues. First thing first, plug a sonos into your router, then unplug the sonos, count to 5 and replug into the socket. Once i did this my controller (iphone 6 app) told me I was connected, but this is only through the hardwire. If you notice there was a message saying go to settings -> advanced settings -> wireless setup... Only you cant access it unless you are connected. So once ur connected via the hardwire, do the advanced settings wireless setup process and have your new network and password and you are golden. Test it by playing a song and unplugging the cable once it begins to play. Your sonos will stop, but then go back to your music re-select your song and it will begin to play wirelessly once again. Hope this helps to all in the past and future who have encountered this!
Great directions, and exactly the right thing to do if you replace the router and were running Sonos wirelessly. You could also set the new routers wifi name and password to be the same as the old one and Sonos would find it. 
I was having the same issues when I upgraded my router to a Linksys WRT1900ac. I tried your directions and it works! I had to reset my controllers first before attempting to connect both of my players through the ethernet cable. After I was hardwired, I disconnected the power plug from my players, replugged it, waited a minute or so, then my Sonos controller displayed that I was connected, I then went to the Settings>Advanced Settings>Wireless Setup and updated my WiFi info. I played a song, disconnected the ethernet cable, it stopped playing, then I pressed "Play" again and that was it. So easy. Thank you so much!

I will be back to this thread if the problem arises again, hopefully not.  
My 2cents: When you select WIFI in the controller app, it finishes with the message: You can now remove the network cable. This should be renamed into: you MUST remove...