How do I get sonos to trigger an external amp

How can I get my sonos connect to trigger on my external amp ?? I wish sonos would add a 12v trigger... I am trying to figure out how to get my sonos to trigger on my external amp from standby mode. I don't want to leave amp in active mode all the time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Hi CapnAndre

Welcome to the Community!

Officially you can't , technically the only way you could do it would be to get a bit handy with a soldering iron and obviously we wouldn't recommend or support that.

i.e. you could get a the appropriate relay that switches at a very low level and tap an output from the connect and use this to switch the relay connected to the trigger input to the amp.

I hope this makes some sense!
Userlevel 1
Matt R, this is a huge missing feature in Sonos. Sonos should offer a sonos branded solution or point to a specific product that solves this. I've been a customer for a long time with a lot of your product and this issue is a huge frustration for people.
I posted this in another thread, check out the "Bobwire DAT1". This will add a 12v trigger to connect. I bought on Amazon...
Badge
I have been fighting with this same problem for quite awhile. I saw the Port has it, but the port is $400!

I only use the optical out and my own DAC, so an upgrade is not worth it for me.

I ended up finding this, but haven't tried it yet. Reviews mention the Connect.

https://www.amazon.com/Bobwire-Trigger-Compatible-ChromeCast-Amplifiers/dp/B07QS89MZG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1

Anyone have experience with this?

Sonos Connect 12V trigger on Amazon
Badge
I posted this in another thread, check out the "Bobwire DAT1". This will add a 12v trigger to connect. I bought on Amazon...

Thanks for this post! I will definitely check this out. Looks like exactly what I was looking for. Price is really fair considering what it does.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Problem with the trigger, Denon doesn’t have a trigger input. Only output.
so even if sonos has the trigger out, it wouldn’t help.
Userlevel 2
I can confirm that the Bobwire DAT1 works. Had it sent from the US to the EU country in which I live. Have had it running for a month and it solves the problem with activation at low volumes and it works flawlessly. The setup is easy and it's a clean solution, except for the standby usage of the small device itself combined with the standby usage of the amp. I still turn off the amp (NAD C275BEE) by hand sometimes when I know I am not going to use it for a while.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you don't have a trigger input just pick up a (dumb or smart) switch that does have one.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Sure there are ways to do it, but a real 5.1 solution for external speakers with sonos is long overdue.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
The new Port has a 12V trigger, although OP may not want replace Connect just for this (and Airplay and better DAC).
Badge
I can confirm that the Bobwire DAT1 works. Had it sent from the US to the EU country in which I live. Have had it running for a month and it solves the problem with activation at low volumes and it works flawlessly. The setup is easy and it's a clean solution, except for the standby usage of the small device itself combined with the standby usage of the amp. I still turn off the amp (NAD C275BEE) by hand sometimes when I know I am not going to use it for a while.

Thanks for the follow up! I have ordered the Bobwire Dat1 and will be reporting back after I get a chance to set it up.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I use Indigo Domotics home automation. I set up a trigger that automatically turns on my Denon amp and sets it to the Sonos input, sets the volume to -14 (that number works for me) as soon as the Sonos player goes into a playing state. When the sonos pauses/stops, it waits 60 seconds and then turns off the denon. I added the 60 delay in case I am just changing music sources, so it won't keep turning on and off. Woks great with no issues. I'm sure other home automations systems can do this too.
Badge +1
I used a development board to do the trick. you can see more here...
it is using the ethernet so no need for a soldering iron :)
http://www.adps.dk/DIY/sonosTrigSig/index.php
Samsung Smartthings hub is able to detect when Sonos Connect is "turned on"
I've tested this and it can trigger an action (such as turning on a light). What I'll do next is purchase a Logitech Harmony and create an action that powers on the amp (in this case a Denon Receiver)
Userlevel 2
Unfortunately this Xantech gear is discontinued but still around. What you need is a SMAUD Audio Sensor Module, CBCSM1 Current Sensor Block and a12volt power supply.