Question

How can you connect the Amp to existing hifi seperates?

Badge +1

Hi,

Upgraded from connect:amp and fear that I should have bought a Port as I can’t get any audio out.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks

John

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

If your goal is to connect it to an existing receiver, you are correct - the Amp has no line level stereo output, only speaker level stereo and mono line level for a subwoofer.  Is it too late to exchange it for a port?

Badge +1

If your goal is to connect it to an existing receiver, you are correct - the Amp has no line level stereo output, only speaker level stereo and mono line level for a subwoofer.  Is it too late to exchange it for a port?

Hmmm - thanks for the answer, will check with Sonos...Cheers

But in that case how were you using the Connect:Amp up to now? Does 'hifi separates' include an amplifier?

Badge +1

But in that case how were you using the Connect:Amp up to now? Does 'hifi separates' include an amplifier?

yes - with a DAC to improve the output from the connect:amp

But what output were you using from the C:A (given that it doesn’t have one)?  There was an ancient version called the ZP100 that I think had an output.  Do you actually currently have a Connect, not a Connect:Amp?

Also, I wonder why you are upgrading? What other Sonos products do you own?

Badge +1

Also, I wonder why you are upgrading? What other Sonos products do you own?

I’ve had Sonos for years now - various Play:1, Play:3, Play:5, CR200, been upgrading incrementally and I probably mean a connect rather than connect:amp

OK that is fine.  That would make sense with you needing a Port to replace the Connect.

I had wondered if you thought you had to replace the Connect before the changes coming next month, as some people seem to believe that, incorrectly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Yes, the ZP100 did indeed have line-level outputs, along with the speaker level.  It was my first Sonos device, and for years I used it basically as a Connect. It’s still in use today to control and drive my outdoor speaker zone, but with the advent of S2, I will likely be either upgrading to an Amp or replacing it with a Port and using the Zone 2 on my existing receiver.  Decisions, decisions.

Do you still have the previous item?  One quick way to discern between all the flavors of Connect and Connect:Amp is to look for an optical digital audio port - only ZP80/90 or Connects had them, the Zp100/120 and Connect:Amps did/do not.

Badge +1

Yes, the ZP100 did indeed have line-level outputs, along with the speaker level.  It was my first Sonos device, and for years I used it basically as a Connect. It’s still in use today to control and drive my outdoor speaker zone, but with the advent of S2, I will likely be either upgrading to an Amp or replacing it with a Port and using the Zone 2 on my existing receiver.  Decisions, decisions.

Do you still have the previous item?  One quick way to discern between all the flavors of Connect and Connect:Amp is to look for an optical digital audio port - only ZP80/90 or Connects had them, the Zp100/120 and Connect:Amps did/do not.

Actually, it wasn’t even a Connect - ZP90...