Question

How can I recover my Sonos Playlists?

• 27 November 2013
  • 7 replies

I just moved my bridge from one speaker system to another and lost my saved Sonos playlists.. how can I get them back? How can I avoid loosing them in the future? Are the playlists stored in the bridge or the Connect or with Sonos remotely under my ID?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello,

Sonos Playlists are stored on the Sonos players themselves. If a Sonos player is factory reset, the Sonos Playlists data will be cleared. When the unit is added to a Sonos system, it will then sync up with the Sonos Playlists on the other devices. If you have multiple Sonos players and one is reset, you can simply add the player back in to your system and it will grab the playlists from the other players. If a Sonos player is added to another system, however, it will sync with the Sonos Playlists data from the other system, overwriting the previous Playlists listings.

If all players on your system have been factory reset or added to another Sonos system, then I'm afraid the Sonos Playlists information has been lost. If you still have at least one player that hasn't been reset, though, you can add all of your other players back to that unit and the playlists will return.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.
Hi Ryan,

Is this only in the case of players? If I connected all players to a new system but still have bridges and boost which have not been added to the system can I recover them from here?

Is there a way in the future to take some sort of backup?

Garreth
Playlists are not held in Boost/Bridge; only play units + Connect + Connect Amp. Every player holds the list in hard memory that survives power outages, so you have these many back ups - unless you erase these via a Factory reset.
Not even on any of the remotes? I have two that have not yet been joined to the new system. Silly sonos do not store these in an online account the system is registered in.

Also I did not factory reset any of the connect. I just added them to a new connect I just bought in a new place. And voila all playlists are gone.
Not even on any of the remotes?
No. The controllers store next to nothing, apart from the identity of the system and a few local settings.

Also I did not factory reset any of the connect. I just added them to a new connect I just bought in a new place. And voila all playlists are gone.

By adding your CONNECT to another system its memory was wiped.

By adding your CONNECT to another system its memory was wiped.

So if a change of homes necessitates this, there is no way to take playlists with you; not a common problem, but one nonetheless.
What happens when one changes routers at home? Does this change make a factory reset necessary?
There has been some speculation that a unit which has not been reset could, when added to another system, sometimes produce an amalgam of the old and the new settings/playlists/etc. Results would be unpredictable, and the safe assumption is that the added unit has its old settings purged.

A router change has no such effect. It doesn't affect the integrity of the Sonos 'household' at all. There's a FAQ which deals with that common situation.