Question

Hooking up a turntable

• 11 January 2017
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I’m having trouble finding a clear cut answer to my question and was wondering if you could help? I have a Play 1, 3 and 5 and want to hook up a turntable to them. I know I need a pre amp if the turntable doesn’t have one, but I’m not sure if I need anything else. Can I hook it up directly to my Play 5 and it will be in the ecosystem to where I can play it on any of my Sonos speakers and it will still sound good? Or do I need to purchase a Connect or a Connect Amp to have the turntable play on all my speakers? If I need a Connect will that suffice and sound good or do I need a Connect Amp and and will that make it sound better than using just a Connect? Basically, what do I need to get a turntable in my Sonos ecosystem and have it sound good?

Thanks, Kit

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

the exception of being able to control the turn table. Maybe that's something that Sonos will add in the future :)
Nahh,,I don't think so! As an ex vinyl user, I know that almost the only reason for keeping a turntable in the system is for the fun of the ritual of controlling it:-). With that taken away, much of the reason for its presence disappears.
I agree with both ratty and jgatie. I have a similar setup as you have. I have my turn table contacted to my Play:5 and I can play it through any or all of my speakers, and I can have something different playing out of the Play:5 if I want to. It's pretty much like any other music source in Sonos with the exception of being able to control the turn table. Maybe that's something that Sonos will add in the future 🙂
As stated, you need any Sonos device with a line-in. You have a Play:5, so that is covered. That line-in source can then be played on any and all Sonos speakers. You can even play it on the Play:1+3, while playing something else on the Play:5.
All you need is a phono preamp (assuming the turntable doesn't have one built in) and a suitable cable terminating in a 3.5mm plug. Wire it to the PLAY:5 and you're all set.

You'll be able to play that Line-In on any or all players in the system.