Question

High End Turntable to PreAmp to Connect-VERY poor sound...any advise?

• 15 January 2018
  • 14 replies

Hello all! I purchased a Sonos Playbase and Connect. I have hooked my Linn Sondek Turntable into a Little Bear T8 preamp through the MC ports then into my Sonos Connect live in port. I am getting a VERY low sound and quality. Can anyone please help me?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So its a Linn Turntable with MC cartridge. RCA cable run from tuntable to the MC port on the pre-amp (switch on AMP is turned to MC). Then the OUT RCA jacks from pre-amp run to the Connect input.

Setup that way and audio is low. Have you looked at the level in the sonos app...settings...room...line in.

Does hooking the Turntable up direct to Sonos produce the exact same low sound or are you getting more sound going via the pre-amp.
Yes I checked all of that and the sounds is VERY low either way. I changed my room line in setting to 9. still VERY low sound....:(
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
IF the sound is the same plugged direct into connect or via the pre-amp. That tells me the pre-amp isn't doing anything. Is the light on beside the on/off switch beside where you plug in the pre-amp?
yes its plugged in and on...I'm going to take the preamp in to see if its faulty...
Check the cartridge.. wires, CW, pre amp settings (if any) etc. Have a Marantz tt-15s1 (with MC and Schiit Mani phono pre) plugged into the Line In of a pair of Play 5 in stereo and it sounds pretty damn good. (for the $)
Hello all! I purchased a Sonos Playbase and Connect. I have hooked my Linn Sondek Turntable into a Little Bear T8 preamp through the MC ports then into my Sonos Connect live in port. I am getting a VERY low sound and quality. Can anyone please help me?

But isn't this a MC to MM preamp? i.e. intended to take a MC input and boost it to MM levels, presumably also carrying out any necessary RIAA adjustments?

If so, then it's nowhere near the output necessary to drive a line level input, so I would expect it to sounds very soft indeed.
Any suggestions????
Any suggestions????
You could try changing the line in source level in the controller - AFAICS level 10 is the most sensitive, but I can't see what the settings actually equate to, so that may still be far too soft.

But isn't this a MC to MM preamp? i.e. intended to take a MC input and boost it to MM levels, presumably also carrying out any necessary RIAA adjustments?

If so, then it's nowhere near the output necessary to drive a line level input, so I would expect it to sounds very soft indeed.

If it is like the usual MC+MM suitable preamps, it will take either the lower voltage MC signal or the higher voltage MM signal and boost both to line level suitable for the line in jack on the Connect. It does not seem to be doing this - was the preamp checked for defects? Does it work with other downstream kit, but not with Connect?

If it is like the usual MC+MM suitable preamps, it will take either the lower voltage MC signal or the higher voltage MM signal and boost both to line level suitable for the line in jack on the Connect. It does not seem to be doing this - was the preamp checked for defects? Does it work with other downstream kit, but not with Connect?

You'd have to ask the OP, but looking at the specs on a web site it implies that the output voltage is 3-8mV, which is far too low for a line input.
The OP needs to first answer the question about defects in the pre amp.

And if the output of a defect free unit is indeed just 8 mV, I don't know what function this gadget would serve, unless it is to feed a MM preamp that does not have MC capability, between it and line level input jacks. Running two phono amps in series seems like a silly thing to do when there are pre amps available that will take 0.3mV MC or 2.5mV MM inputs and use these to deliver 200mV outputs to be fed to line level input jacks. Or even MC preamps that will do just this.

Why this preamp should then have MM ports is a mystery to me.
A little research threw up this:
"So if you want to try out a moving coil cartridge but your amplifier is only equipped with a fixed-coil input, the Little Bear T8-1 headamp can be recommended to get you started."
So:
1. It needs to be wired to a MM input on a phono preamp which in turn would be wired to the Connect; on its own, there isn't enough gain supplied to be used directly with the Connect.
2. I still don't see what sense it would make for this unit to take MM cartridge inputs.
And if the output of a defect free unit is indeed just 8 mV, I don't know what function this gadget would serve, unless it is to feed a MM preamp that does not have MC capability, between it and line level input jacks.

That's what I assumed that it was for, or maybe to boost an MM to line level?

pre amps available that will take 0.3mV MC or 2.5mV MM inputs and use these to deliver 200mV outputs to be fed to line level input jacks.

Yes, I'm assuming that he just needs the correct piece of kit....

maybe to boost an MM to line level?

It may do that, if the input section does not get overloaded with an MM signal.

Over to OP who is in radio silence.