Hide Port from rooms list when used for input only

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Is there any way to hide Port from the speaker/room list when it’s only being used as an input? I have it connected to a turntable but nothing connected to the output. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I’d also love an option to set the Port to “input only” to hide it from the rooms list. It’s easy enough to ignore it, but it’s a an annoyance to have it in the list since I don’t have any audio equipment to connect it to. I only use the Port to send my pre-amplified turntable audio to my Sonos system.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks @Corry P 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dgaultiere 

I’m not privy to the actual source code, but I assume that “Rooms with LIne-In” is a subset of “Rooms”, therefore removing a device from the Rooms list would also remove it from the list of available Line-In sources without a rewrite of the structure of the User Interface coding and possibly the Sonos API as well.

The TLDR\lay-person version of this is “don’t hold your breath”, though I completely understand where you’re coming from. I’ll still mark this thread as a feature request however, so it will end up in the hands of the right people to consider it.

Thanks for your input!

Not completely hidden, but I might rename the port ‘Z something’ so that it drops to the bottom of the list, out of the way as much as possible.

It would take finite development resource to hide the Port from the rooms list, effort which would be diverted from other priorities.

Given that the Port is likely to be used by a minority of customers, and that those who deploy such a pricey component solely for input is likely to be a miniscule fraction of that minority, I would put the chances of such a development ever happening at zero. 

In such a situation where none of the Port’s outputs are required we typically advise the user to buy a Five instead.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@ratty I have done that and it’s fine. I still wish I could simply set Port to input only mode. Not a huge problem just a nice touch. 

I have 7 Sonos zones (not including Port) in my house, so I’m often selecting “everywhere” and that means it also selects Port output. I’m sure the system is already working pretty hard to establish its mesh network with the 7 zones so I’m just thinking it’s one less device it doesn’t need to talk to when I’m not using the turntable.

Why not create a saved/named group that includes everything except the Port?  Or are you stuck on S1? 

There is no such functionality in the current software. If there was such a feature as to “hide” a room, it’s rather unlikely that it would affect the need for the Sonos system to connect to and verify each device on the local system. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I want to hide it because there is literally no reason for it to show on the list of rooms/speakers if it’s not connected to an output. 

I have 7 Sonos zones (not including Port) in my house, so I’m often selecting “everywhere” and that means it also selects Port output. I’m sure the system is already working pretty hard to establish its mesh network with the 7 zones so I’m just thinking it’s one less device it doesn’t need to talk to when I’m not using the turntable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are you afraid you’re damaging it if you would group it with other speakers while nothing is attached to the output? I do not think this is a problem.

Userlevel 7

No.

Just curious… why do you want to hide it?