Question

Hi-Fi amp Output to Sonos Connect (no REC Out available)

• 7 March 2018
  • 3 replies

Some new hi-fi integrated amps lack Tape/Rec Out or Line Outputs, and I want to connect the amp to Sonos Connect in order to send Phono/CD/TV audio to wireless Multi-room speakers. The turntable has no internal preamp so can't be connected directly, and it would be nice to run Amp output to the Connect to enable selection of any source. Can I use Pre-Out or Headphone signal into Sonos Connect, or is signal strength way off? Thanks....

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello Euclid, welcome to the community. A headphone out should work fine from your amp, as long as the amp is set to output over headphones, however the headphone volume may need to be set pretty high for best results with the CONNECT.
Can I use Pre-Out or Headphone signal into Sonos Connect, or is signal strength way off? Thanks....
If you have a pre-out then use it. It may be volume-controlled but otherwise it's equivalent to a Rec Out.

Personally I'd never use a headphone out for this kind of thing. The impedance matching would be wrong, and if there's a small power amp driving it (as there should be to cater for low impedance 'phones) it could introduce unwanted noise.
Thanks, guys. Eases my mind about Amp output. I miss the old days when pretty much every Hi-fi amp had a line output(Tape out).