Answered

Help hooking up Crosley record player

• 5 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello all -- I’ve tried reading through these threads but my head is spinning! I am hoping to hook-up my Crosley turntable (specs here) to my pair of old Play:1 speakers. The specs of my TT don’t say much, but it gets mentioned on a few different websites that it has a ‘built in amp’ though nobody elaborates more than that. I do not have any type of phono vs. line-in switch on the back, but I do have 2 RCA jacks as well as 2 speakerwire ports (sorry, not sure what else to call those...)

Looking for the simplest (and maybe also cheapest) way to get this all in sync. Do I need a pre-amp, can anyone tell? Which new or discontinued Sonos product would you recommend as my easiest path here? Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!

icon

Best answer by jgatie 5 January 2022, 18:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The RCA jacks on that unit are line-level out.  You would need to connect those to a Sonos device which has a line in, either a Port, an Amp, or a Five.  

Thanks @jgatie ! So potentially no pre-amp needed?

Is the main draw of the Five vs. Port/Amp that you gain another speaker, whereas the Port or Amp are just stepping stones to my already existing speakers?

Yes.  The Port would be cheapest, but the line in on Sonos needs to be buffered, so it would cause a delay between the Crosley and the Play:1’s if you tried to play them in sync.  If you don’t care to play them in sync, the Port would be fine.  If you need to be in sync, you would need an Amp to power the Crosley speakers, disconnect the Crosley speakers and get new speakers for the Amp, or disconnect the Crosley speakers and use a Five.

@jgatie Last Q here to make sure I understand correctly… the buffering delay would only be a problem if I were to use the Crosley speakers in tandem with my Play:1’s? But if I ditch the Crosley speakers altogether, then no concerns on potential Sonos playback, right?

@jgatie Last Q here to make sure I understand correctly… the buffering delay would only be a problem if I were to use the Crosley speakers in tandem with my Play:1’s? But if I ditch the Crosley speakers altogether, then no concerns on potential Sonos playback, right?

Correct.