Answered

Headphones Sonos Port

• 13 February 2021
  • 10 replies

I listen to vinyl through my sonos system via a port . Can headphone be connected in any way . Cheers

icon

Best answer by ratty 13 February 2021, 18:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Sure. Use an output on your Port to connect to either a headphone amp (for wired headphones) or a transmitter (for wireless ones).

Yes, the Port has RCA line-out ...you could connect headphones to that connection, or as some choose to do, use a Bluetooth aptX HD/LL transmitter in the mix with Bluetooth headphones.

Note you can also use the coax digital-out too with a DAC (with/without) Bluetooth transmitter/receiver (R/X)... Maybe check cables and devices (with/without DAC) on Amazon, there are plenty of options to choose from.

edit: Ah @ratty beat me to it.👍

Don’t wire headphones directly to the RCA outputs. They’re not designed for a low impedance load. Use a headphone amp. The Port’s internal DAC is a very decent one. 

For Bluetooth use I’d recommend connecting the digital output to a suitable transmitter, probably necessitating a coax-optical converter along the way. Set the output to Fixed Volume -- obviating concerns regarding Port’s Variable Volume digital quality -- and control the level at the headphones themselves.

Thank you on the port I have white and red / out ...and digital out . So what do I need to put in for Bluetooth please. Thank you 

You need a Bluetooth transmitter compatible with your headphones, connected either to the RCA outs or, as I suggested, to the digital out.

I have Bose headphones any suggestions please. Thank you

As far as I can see Bose don’t support the higher quality Bluetooth codecs, so basically any transmitter will do.

Could the new sonus headphones upcoming, solve the issue with the connection between the TV blue tooth turning off after seconds 😂

Could the new sonus headphones upcoming, solve the issue with the connection between the TV blue tooth turning off after seconds 😂

Presumably a user will be able to ‘select’, ‘group’, or somehow ‘bond’, with a playing TV source to listen to the TV audio on Sonos headphones (in lip-sync)... but it’s all just ‘guesswork’ at the moment ...and of course it very much depends on the Sonos announcement due in March. 

Thanks for that,we will have see if new headphones do come, and hope at the right price.