Headphone Socket

• 31 January 2005
  • 91 replies

Show first post

91 replies

Userlevel 2
Re: bluscrn's post: The ZP120 doesn't have a headphone socket? Why on earth not?
Userlevel 2
Badge
So sonos has brought out an iPod dock - I like to listen to music thru headphones - how difficult would it be to add a headphone jack to a sonos box or even a jack to a device similar to a zone bridge - much like the iPod dock..
The S5 has a headphone jack, and with a cheap RCA to headphone adapter, you can listen to headphones from the analog out on a ZP90/80/100 (the ZP120 does not have analog out). Note that the Bridge only has wireless hardware, it does not contain music processing hardware, so a Bridge cannot output music.
Userlevel 2
I am totally in love with Sonos. Missing, however, a portable device that I can carry around and plug in, for example, headphones in. Control via iPhone or Andriod. Good for when you want to listen a little to myself, in the garden when you mow the lawn or cleaning.

Anybody else think this is a good idea?
Userlevel 2
I am totally in love with Sonos. Missing, however, a portable device that I can carry around and plug in, for example, headphones in. Control via iPhone or Andriod. Good for when you want to listen a little to myself, in the garden when you mow the lawn or cleaning.

OH YES!!! Give it to me!
That's a thing that i really been missing. The ability to to carry the music with me out in our garden.
I've merged your post with an existing thread. Also note the links in this post.

My iDevice does this exact thing quite well, thank you. I suspect that any smartphone will do the same: play local music files; stream from any/many of the on-line services; etc. Why need a Sonos widget??

I do not think that Sonos will devote their scarce development resources to re-create a product that is already doing what we need, just to have a Sonos-specific tie-in.

I could be wrong, though. Time will tell.

Best of Luck
My iDevice does this exact thing quite well, thank you. I suspect that any smartphone will do the same: play local music files; stream from any/many of the on-line services; etc. Why need a Sonos widget??

I do not think that Sonos will devote their scarce development resources to re-create a product that is already doing what we need, just to have a Sonos-specific tie-in.

The Sonos CEO has said as much in interviews. I seriously doubt we'll see a Sonos unit like this, for the reasons you -- and the CEO -- have pointed out; iPod-like devices already do this.
The Sonos CEO has said as much in interviews. I seriously doubt we'll see a Sonos unit like this, for the reasons you -- and the CEO -- have pointed out; iPod-like devices already do this.

Ah, yes. I recall reading that interview....

Must have been why my post didn't seem like an original thought on my part. :D

Great minds think alike.

Or it's the other adage: Just because I'm the Village Idiot doesn't make me wrong.

Best of Luck
Userlevel 2
Ah, yes. I recall reading that interview....

Must have been why my post didn't seem like an original thought on my part. :D

Great minds think alike.

Or it's the other adage: Just because I'm the Village Idiot doesn't make me wrong.

Best of Luck

Hi,
If Sonos can make an App for output on iPod, iPhone would be great 🙂 Why not use the existing App to listen to music. Must be a pice of cake to fix !
Hi,
If Sonos can make an App for output on iPod, iPhone would be great 🙂 Why not use the existing App to listen to music.

The iDevice and Android Apps are for controlling Sonos only. Most likely will always be that (and only that).

Read the following Threads. Read them all the way through. It may illuminate the complexity of implementing your "simple & easy" concept:
iDevice/Android as a ZonePlayer: http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=11679
PC/Mac as a ZonePlayer: http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=3004

Must be a pice of cake to fix !

My standard answer to this statement is:
If it's so easy, please do it yourself (or hire a coding team) and sell it on the open market (or better yet, just give it away for free). :rolleyes:

Best of Luck
Userlevel 2

My standard answer to this statement is:
If it's so easy, please do it yourself (or hire a coding team) and sell it on the open market (or better yet, just give it away for free). :rolleyes:

Best of Luck

Question?
Are you working at Sonos or what?
Question?

Micken, often people come here and claim something is a "piece of cake" or a "no brainer" to fix/implement. Although various levels of expertise may or may not be able to make a edjumacated guess at how difficult something is, often times the chaff gets mixed in with the wheat and even the most difficult of tasks falls into the "no brainer" category when nothing could be further from the truth. Because of the preponderance of these types of posts, some of us (include me in this) get a little impatient at these types of assessments. In truth, even the simplest of fixes are not a "no brainer" or a "piece of cake" in that they all must go through a software cycle which includes unit testing, QA, Alpha, Beta, and inclusion in a release, and as such they are never less than around a 3-6 month cycle, and certainly never the "couple of man hours" estimate which goes along with the "piece of cake" claims.

As to your specific idea, I think I can say with 100% certainty that not only is it not a "piece of cake", it is impossible given the architecture of a Sonos components vs. an iDevice or Android, if you are to keep the perfect sync that is a foremost feature of the Sonos design. Also, given that any cheap Android/Touch could then operate as an analog-only Connect; even if it were possible, I highly doubt Sonos is going to implement Sonos functionality in a device which could be hooked up to any boom box/amplifier and give you a Connect for less than 1/3 the price (sometimes much less).
Sonos staff who frequent these forums make no attempt to hide their identities: they have "- Sonos" in their usernames.
Userlevel 2
Micken, often people come here and claim something is a "piece of cake" or a "no brainer" to fix/implement. Although various levels of expertise may or may not be able to make a edjumacated guess at how difficult something is, often times the chaff gets mixed in with the wheat and even the most difficult of tasks falls into the "no brainer" category when nothing could be further from the truth. Because of the preponderance of these types of posts, some of us (include me in this) get a little impatient at these types of assessments. In truth, even the simplest of fixes are not a "no brainer" or a "piece of cake" in that they all must go through a software cycle which includes unit testing, QA, Alpha, Beta, and inclusion in a release, and as such they are never less than around a 3-6 month cycle, and certainly never the "couple of man hours" estimate which goes along with the "piece of cake" claims.

As to your specific idea, I think I can say with 100% certainty that not only is it not a "piece of cake", it is impossible given the architecture of a Sonos components vs. an iDevice or Android, if you are to keep the perfect sync that is a foremost feature of the Sonos design. Also, given that any cheap Android/Touch could then operate as an analog-only Connect; even if it were possible, I highly doubt Sonos is going to implement Sonos functionality in a device which could be hooked up to any boom box/amplifier and give you a Connect for less than 1/3 the price (sometimes much less).

Yes, I know. I work with software development my self. So, I know all that. But sometimes you have to wish and dream outside the box. So, let us have it that way.
Userlevel 2
Sonos staff who frequent these forums make no attempt to hide their identities: they have "- Sonos" in their usernames.

I'm sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone.