Hardware Configurable Sonos Port

• 11 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

The brand new Sonos Port has inferior connectivity compared to the old Connect.

It’s beyond me why you have removed the Toslink / Optical out from an integration product?

What I’ve heard, though, is that it’s because this product is normally used by “integrators” - i.e. pro installers - and they can customize coax cables on site.

To that I can only say:

• Pro installers aside, this is just no reason to not supply the Toslink side-by-side the coax as was the case in the Connect product in case a home user is installing the product - or an installer for that matter - finding the Toslink a better choice for some odd reason.
  • A Toslink output path really can’t cost much more than next to nothing and certainly not taking the price of the product into account.

I have a pair of very nice active Dynaudio Xeo speakers with only Toslink in (well RCA too, but don’t want to use that).

If I want to use the Port, I am left with the choice of either using the analogue RCA - completely forgoing the reason I bought the Dyna’s in the first place: Digital and optimized signal path all the way - or use a coax→Toslink converter.

Both RCA and coax options are no-go for me since this would mean less than optimal signal processing and in the latter case it would also add more noise and jitter in the signal path and it would add cost to an already ridiculously expensive glue product that is the Port.

Sigh - I’m so tired of all these half baked solutions. 

Moreover, I feel the Port should cost about 100 USD and it could be made in a number of versions to let the user pick what’s suitable for him, RCA, Toslink, Coax or a combo of these.

I e.g. have no use for the RCA I/O, nor the coax.

So why am I forced to use one of exactly these two options?

The thing I do need is a Toslink out - and that is the one thing I absolutely cannot have.

Just because you decided that I don’t need it!

The end of the story is that I’m going to be using an older Connect S2 since it has the Toslink. It also have a worse S/N ratio than the Port. 

I would like to suggest that Sonos put the decision of what’s important to the customer in the hands of - well - the customer.

I.e. the customer gets to pick which I/O he needs from a Sonos integration product like the Port…

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

What makes you think a coax->optical converter would result in “less than optimal signal processing”?  It’s not hard to make a converter that gives a bit-perfect output, the cost would be pennies a pound.  And unless you believe all the audiophile nonsense meant to squeeze $$$$ out of people with more money than knowledge, bit-perfect is . . . well . . . perfect.

Any self-proclaimed audiophile would appreciate coax over optical anyhow. Coax offers longer range and lower jitter.

If required, converting from coax to optical is a seamless step.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

What makes you think a optical->coax converter would result in “less than optimal signal processing”?

You’re right, it won’t but… having to use an optical->electrical converter (or in this case, the other way round) is a bit of a pain, especially if you are trying to hide the installation out of sight, because then you have two things that need a mains power supply, rather than just one.

I always prefer to use a Toslink connector, because it maintains electrical isolation between the two devices. But with the “improved” Port I no longer have that option (nor do I have the option of using Pause and Volume controls on the device, which went missing in the “upgrade” too).