Get surround from computer -> TV -> Sonos AMP

• 12 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi! I have bought a Sonos AMP which configured correctly with external speakers, subwoofer and two Sonos 1 in the rear - so far so good. Setup:

• Computer Acer Aspire XC-830 with surround   -   HDMI
  • HDMI   -   TV Samsung UE55RU7405UXXC   -   HDMI ARC
  • HDMI ARC   -   Sonos AMP

Windows 10 insists of stereo and 2 channels in all settings and properties. Tried to update drivers and change cables but no luck. I see no other options connecting the equipment than above since Sonos AMP only has one HDMI port.

1. Anyone succeded with this setup or have any hints?
  2. What’s the correct setup for surround using Sonos AMP?

Thank you!

Airgetlam 15 days ago

Not sure I’m really understanding, but yes, your setup with the Sonos Amp connected to your TV via HDMI ARC should work, with the Sonos Ones as surround speakers. 
Where I think it is failing for you is the type of signal your computer is sending to the TV, which you say is stereo. Neither the TV nor Sonos will change that, it’s the responsibility of the sending device to send a Dolby Digital signal, which then the TV will pass on to the Sonos. 

For instance, if you were to swap out that PC with a DVD player, and play a regular DVD with a Dolby Digital soundtrack (not DTS), the system should work just fine. So you’re going to need to mess with the drivers and apps on your Win10 PC, and figure out how to make them send a Dolby Digital signal through that HDMI output to the TV set.

View original

5 replies

To my understanding the answers to my own questions are:

1. No
  2. You can’t

I think this is quite misleading:

But if you read the manual closely it says: “Use Amp with third-party speakers to add surround sound if you already have a Sonos home theater speaker (Beam, Playbase, Playbar, or another Amp) connected to your TV.” So I guess I would have to buy another Amp or Beam/Playbase/Playbar to get surround. I wish it would be more clear, but still it’s a great amplifier with great functionality.

Please let me know if I’m wrong! :grinning:

Not sure I’m really understanding, but yes, your setup with the Sonos Amp connected to your TV via HDMI ARC should work, with the Sonos Ones as surround speakers. 
Where I think it is failing for you is the type of signal your computer is sending to the TV, which you say is stereo. Neither the TV nor Sonos will change that, it’s the responsibility of the sending device to send a Dolby Digital signal, which then the TV will pass on to the Sonos. 

For instance, if you were to swap out that PC with a DVD player, and play a regular DVD with a Dolby Digital soundtrack (not DTS), the system should work just fine. So you’re going to need to mess with the drivers and apps on your Win10 PC, and figure out how to make them send a Dolby Digital signal through that HDMI output to the TV set.

But if you read the manual closely it says: “Use Amp with third-party speakers to add surround sound if you already have a Sonos home theater speaker (Beam, Playbase, Playbar, or another Amp) connected to your TV.” So I guess I would have to buy another Amp or Beam/Playbase/Playbar to get surround. I wish it would be more clear, but still it’s a great amplifier with great functionality.

Please let me know if I’m wrong! :grinning:

Yes you are wrong!  The sense here is ‘you can use Amp with third-party speakers…..’

It isn’t saying that is the only way to get surround sound, just that it is another possible use of the Amp.  As Bruce has said, the Ones are fine for surrounds, you don’t need another Amp, and nor would an Amp help if the signal is stereo in the first place.

Thank you for telling me I’m wrong! (for real) :grinning: And thank you for answering. I guess I have to pinpoint my PC and why I can’t select more than stereo. I created a support case at Acer and hopefully they can give me a clue. I’ll keep you posted.

An update: The problem in my case was that according to Acer to computer doesn’t have surround (only stereo) but the specifications at the store says it has surround. Since I couldn’t make it work and Acer should know what they talk about I trust them. So the Sonos works flawless and surround works if I use Netflix or simliar like you said.