Gen 1 Connect Amp keeps dropping off system

• 1 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2

I have a Bridge hard wired into my router, and a Connect Amp connected to an existing AV Receiver. Over the last 2 months, the Connect Amp has dropped off my system completely and had to be added as a new product whenever I want to listen to any music.

I’ve resorted to completely resetting the system, and it worked for 24 hours!! 

I’ve turned everything network based off, rebooted my router, turned added the Bridge, waited 10 minutes, added the Connect Amp, waited 10 minutes then added other WIFI items individually - and it worked for another 24 hours.

Before I put everything in the bin is there anything else that can be done to get the system working - it was working fine until the last update was released and support no longer provided.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Not quite sure I understand your mention and tag of ‘end of software support’, as there has not been such. All your devices continue to be fully supported on S1 and by Sonos customer service. 

It does seem as though you’ve either got a network issue, and/or a hardware failure in a device. The first thing that catches my eye in your post is the mention of a BRIDGE, which has been known, at this point, to have potential issues with the power supply being unsteady, which can cause all sorts of difficult to track network issues. I’d recommend removing it from the equation as a test, and wire your Ethernet cable directly to the CONNECT:AMP and see if the Sonos system remains stable.  If it does, you could just purchase a new power supply for the BRIDGE from a third party, or upgrade the BRIDGE to the newer and better Sonos BOOST, or even drop that connection, and just leave the Ethernet connection directly to your CONNECT:AMP.

You might also consider the possibility of submitting a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and calling Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. There would certainly be much more hard data there than can be carried in a simple text message in a forum.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 2

Hi Bruce,

Removed the Bridge from system and added the Connect Amp to a WIFI extender via ethernet - no issues. Added the WIFI connection via Sonos 1 app and then removed the ethernet connection - no issues so far.

Thanks for the advice

Sure thing, glad it helped! If you need to replace that BRIDGE, a BOOST is the newer model, and you can even ‘trade in’ the BRIDGE to get a discount on the BOOST if you order from Sonos. 

Of course, you could also just buy a third party power supply and test it, it’s much more likely to be the power flaking out than the internal electronics. Or, keep an Ethernet cable connected to the Amp….or just hang the Amp off your WiFi. All viable options.