Answered

First Sonos purchase

• 27 October 2017
  • 6 replies

I'm considering joining the Sonos community by purchasing a Connect Amp to use with an existing pair of speakers. From the reading I've done here, it sounds like the speakers I plan to use will be ok. Can you please confirm? This would be two speakers only.
The specs state 4 ohm, 40-200W.

My intent is to only stream music (no TV stuff). Do I understand correctly, that the only equipment I need for this purpose is the Connect Amp, and the speakers? Is that right? (Well......and a phone/tablet.....)

Thanks in advance,
Kim
icon

Best answer by Kumar 27 October 2017, 20:04

It is a not as simple as a yes/no.
1. You probably don't need more equipment. Ideally, the Connect Amp should be wired to a router, though it may well work without such wiring. But if this was needed and wiring was physically inconvenient, you would need a Boost, a unit that would be so wired and communicate wirelessly with the Connect Amp.
2. To the speakers, if you do not intend to play loud for long, again Connect Amp ought to do well enough. But if you do, the 4 Ohms says that the speakers will draw more power at times than ones that say 8 ohms, a preferred match.
Or it may just be a simple yes answer. But I think that needs qualifying as above.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It is a not as simple as a yes/no.
1. You probably don't need more equipment. Ideally, the Connect Amp should be wired to a router, though it may well work without such wiring. But if this was needed and wiring was physically inconvenient, you would need a Boost, a unit that would be so wired and communicate wirelessly with the Connect Amp.
2. To the speakers, if you do not intend to play loud for long, again Connect Amp ought to do well enough. But if you do, the 4 Ohms says that the speakers will draw more power at times than ones that say 8 ohms, a preferred match.
Or it may just be a simple yes answer. But I think that needs qualifying as above.
I am also curious to know why you would not want to eliminate the issue in item 2 above by selecting a pair of play 1 or Sonos One units, for less than the price of the Connect Amp. Even though that would render the existing speakers as redundant.
Thanks, Kumar.
Most of the music we listen to is ambiance music. When we do sit down and LISTEN, it can be loud, but never "blow the doors off" loud. What will happen if the speakers are too loud for too long? Since "loud" is subjective, I guess its kind of hard to know where the limit is.
I'd rather have choice in actual speakers, paired with the convenience of the Sonos app......
Plus the Connect Amp gives you a line-in connection in case you want to play with an Echo Dot or other external equipment. Much more versatile. Also if you ever want to get a subwoofer you have a choice to use a Sonos one wirelessly or a third party one wired to the Connect Amp. More options!
If the speakers are too loud for too long, and of the kind that drop impedances to below 4 ohms for doing so as many that are nominally said to be 4 ohms do, the Connect Amp will be asked to deliver more power than it can deliver and its self protection circuitry will be triggered causing it to shut down. No permanent damage will be caused, but it may be inconvenient to wait till it starts again on its own after a while. As you correctly say what is loud is a subjective variable, but it sounds like you should be ok - also note that the Connect Amp should be kept in a well ventilated place so the heat can be radiated away from its top surface.