Firmware update to Port to fix Variable output problem?

• 21 February 2021
  • 30 replies

It seems to be well known that the Port suffers from a problem with the Variable Output sound quality.

Has there been any firmware upgrades that fix this? What is the likelihood that this will be solved going forward?

I am about to invest in a complete system for our new house. Right now, because of this issue, I am leaning towards a Bluesound solution. But like the Arc more than the Soundbar 2i, so would like to use Sonos. But need the Port for interface with a high-end audio system and cannot compromise on the sound quality.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Good luck, and I don't see that it should be difficult.

We will agree to disagree on the DACs subject in the sense that how they are made is not relevant. How they sound is. I had once a DAC with valves inside, that weighed about twice as much as my amp of that time, had the same footprint as the amp, and cost me about USD 1500. There was no difference in how music sounded with that in the set up and how it did when I deleted it and wired the analog out of my Sonos Connect to my amp, replacing the USD 1500 DAC with the one in the Connect.

There was no difference in how music sounded with that in the set up and how it did when I deleted it and wired the analog out of my Sonos Connect to my amp, replacing the USD 1500 DAC with the one in the Connect.

Which you established by double blind testing, of course….

Of course not. It was however as careful a test as I could make at home because it had to do with the decision to be made to give the DAC away to a friend for free. 

And here’s the thing: if one can hear a difference in even a careful test, one needs a blind test to be sure that the difference is “real”. If pursuing that difference is going to mean a significant investment.

But if one does NOT hear the difference in such a test, it is extremely unlikely that one will start hearing it if one then improves testing rigour to blind/double blind. And also - what then is the motivation to make the test more rigorous? To search for a difference that also has not been reported anywhere where DACs are concerned under such testing conditions?

By the way, said friend still has the DAC in his set up, knows that it probably does not make a difference, but loves the way it looks and therefore still loves it to bits. So he is happy as well.

Of course not. It was however as careful a test as I could make at home because it had to do with the decision to be made to give the DAC away to a friend for free. 

You seem to continually apply a double standard. If anyone else makes a subjective statement then you immediately fall back on the need for double blind testing for it to have any credibility, but you expect us to take your unsubstantiated comments based purely on your own aural memory (over what must be significant periods of time) as fact.

I don’t expect you to take as fact anything I say here :grin:

This is the internet, everyone has to use their own filter to everything that is read on it. I do not claim any exemption from that filter either, and anyone that does not use their own developed filter to decide the merit of what I say is being just as gullible as some one that believes everything that, as one example, What HiFi puts out.