Feature Request - Sonos Amp.

• 24 December 2020
  • 16 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 15 replies

Hi everyone,

I am an happy owner of the Sonos Amp that would love to be even happier :-)

I love my Sonos Amp for a lot of reasons but to be even more amazing it would be unreal to be able to play uncompressed audio. I know that’s not possible on this device as it needs earc but why not a New Sonos Amp, and why not at least 1 HDMI input, that would be incredibly useful for people that do not have an earc compatible TV.

As an improvement of the existing one, the ability to play Dolby atmos tracks (compressed DD+) would be a game changer and a reason for many Sonos owners to buy the Sonance or even another Amp (I would).

The ability to add a center channel with some of the existing Sonos lineup or other party would also be out of this world but again that requires new hardware.

I hope this gets considered, thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @ant0.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for the feedback and feature request. We appreciate it a lot as these type of feature request helps us to know more about how to improve our products. I will be more than happy to send this to our engineering team as a feature request. I would suggest subscribing to our announcement topic for any feature release, feature updates, and bug fixes.

If you have any other questions, concerns, or feature requests, please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic. We highly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Own arc sound bar and 2 sl shadows.  Want to increase volume with tv and speakers at the location.  Should I consider purchasing amp?  Will that increase sound to these speakers?   I get the sub will increase bass.   But I want an over all increase in sound.  

Own arc sound bar and 2 sl shadows.  Want to increase volume with tv and speakers at the location.  Should I consider purchasing amp?  Will that increase sound to these speakers?   I get the sub will increase bass.   But I want an over all increase in sound.  

No, this won’t work as you are imagining it will.   Sonos doesn’t have the funcationality for you to configure a home theatre room with an Arc, 2 SLs for surround, and an amp for additional front speakers.  If you setup the amp as separate Sonos room and then group the two rooms together, the speakers connected to the amp would play slightly behind the other speakers, creating an echo effect.  For music/streaming playback it would be in sync, that’s not typically what people are looking for when they ask this question.

Then what may be my best options to increase the sound in this room.   The room is medium size with high ceiling.  But not unusually large and do not get large enough volume from arc and 2 sl’s? 

Then what may be my best options to increase the sound in this room.   The room is medium size with high ceiling.  But not unusually large and do not get large enough volume from arc and 2 sl’s? 

The Arc should be plenty loud enough for that size room.  It certainly is for me in what I’d consider a large room  (about 20’x20’).   Is the volume too low for all sources or just watching TV, perhaps an aux source connected to a Port or 5?

Not load enough for us, it is a 20x20 room.   Ceiling is 14” feet.  What other options is out there from Sonos? 

You could probably get more volume from the amp, depending on what passive speakers you use.  

So the volume issue is for all sources?

Yes, I guess my options would be amp plus more speakers?

Unless there is something wrong with your Arc. You would need to talk to Sonos directly for that.  I really can’t tell what you consider to be reasonable volume for a soundbar.

I’m amused to think how large the room would need to be for my Arc not to fill it with sound. 50 feet on a side? 100 feet on a side? I rarely hit around 20% in my 20x20 space. 

I’m amused to think how large the room would need to be for my Arc not to fill it with sound. 50 feet on a side? 100 feet on a side? I rarely hit around 20% in my 20x20 space. 

He/she said the room was 20x20.  That’s why I was thinking that it might be source related.  Like there was a Port with turntable and no preamp as the source. It’s possible the Arc is defective, but that likely would be noticeable as being way too low on volume.  You’re right though, an Arc should be plenty loud for anyone with typical hearing and tastes.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Kaps.

Thanks for your updates and immediate responses. I would like to ask if you can submit a diagnostic so we can check the volume limit on your Sonos Arc. This is just a shot in the dark and possibly the reason why the Sonos Arc’s volume does not meet your expectation and requirement. Once the diagnostic has been submitted can you please post here the confirmation number so I can check.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I’ll be here to help.
Thanks,

Hi @Kaps.

Thanks for your updates and immediate responses. I would like to ask if you can submit a diagnostic so we can check the volume limit on your Sonos Arc. This is just a shot in the dark and possibly the reason why the Sonos Arc’s volume does not meet your expectation and requirement. Once the diagnostic has been submitted can you please post here the confirmation number so I can check.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I’ll be here to help.
Thanks,

Good idea.  Hadn't thought about the volume limit.

Diagnostic info sent.  Conf number 2054036308.  Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Kaps.

Thanks for your immediate response and for submitting diagnostic. 

The diagnostic submitted shows volume scale/limit is at 100 or max and at the time the diagnostic was submitted, the ARC is playing at volume 67 out of 100. If the volume does not meet your expectation. I would like to recommend another shopt in the dark by trying to disable trueplay and check if it does make a difference. 

He/she said the room was 20x20.  That’s why I was thinking that it might be source related.  Like there was a Port with turntable and no preamp as the source. It’s possible the Arc is defective, but that likely would be noticeable as being way too low on volume.  You’re right though, an Arc should be plenty loud for anyone with typical hearing and tastes.

@melvimbe might be spot on with his theory that it might indeed be a defective ARC. Some hardware failures does not show on the diagnostic especially if there is presence of physical damage in some internal non electronic component of the product. I’ll suggest contacting our technical support team for a more in-depth troubleshooting step or possible product replacement.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I'll be here to help.

Thanks,

Hi Paul, thanks. I did disable trueplay.   I’m making the assumption disabling will increase sound.  If so, no it did not.  And from this dialog seems nothing is wrong with the system.  

The room is closer to 30x35 with high ceilings, with an open feeder room off of it.  

Back to my original question.  How do I increase volume?  Is my best options purchasing an addition amp for the system with additional speakers/sound bar?