Answered

Extremely Low Volume on Speaker

I have a bridge and connect which are both showing as active and setup correctly (I've had my Sonos for 4 years with no issues until now). However, suddenly the volume on my speakers is insufficient (like a whisper even when turned to max volume). Any suggestion please? I tried calling the 800# but the wait time was well over 30 minutes.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 30 July 2018, 21:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Grant B. Thanks for your post. Do you have Trueplay enabled? If so, please try switching it off. What is the source of the audio, does it happen regardless of course? Is this happening on all speakers? How many speakers do you have? Following an occurrence of this issue, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause for you. Many thanks in advance.
Diagnostic 1039065368
Trueplay is off. 8 speakers. I stream through spotify. Thank you,
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Diagnostic 1039065368

Thanks for sending in the report. When using a CONNECT, both the Sonos volume and the receiver's volume come into play. At the time of your report the Sonos volume was set to 18 out of 100. Do you usually use the receiver's volume for control, or do you use the Sonos app? If you use the receiver, you may with to set the CONNECT to fixed volume in the room settings menu. This puts the CONNECT at max and allows you to control the volume using only your receiver.

If you prefer to use the Sonos app, check to see what the receiver's volume is set to. It should be set to a reasonable level to work best.
Thank you very much. I don't use the SONOS app to control the volume. These are ceiling speakers throughout my house and there's simply a volume dial on my walls, so I'm assuming the volume is controlled by the receiver?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thank you very much. I don't use the SONOS app to control the volume. These are ceiling speakers throughout my house and there's simply a volume dial on my walls, so I'm assuming the volume is controlled by the receiver?

That would be the next place to look. With the Sonos volume set to fixed you can remove that option from the equation. Next, check the volume setting on the receiver itself to see if it matches that of your wall dial.
It worked! All set. Thank you very much.
😳
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It worked! All set. Thank you very much.
:$

That's great to hear!
I'm having this same problem all of a sudden after 7 years of no problems with my ZP80. It's been on Fixed volume the whole time so that's not the problem. Like the original poster, I control my volume with my whole-house audio amp. Have also tried removing the ZP80 and testing it with a small set of USB-powered computer speakers and the same thing happens... very quiet output.
Might be time to submit a system diagnostic, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
@mikeindustries suffering the same problem with two ZP120s in my setup. The cynic in me wonders whether one of the "software updates" has turned the amps down, because I'm getting nothing like the volume that I used to get out of them. Particularly since the new Sonos Amp is boasting higher power, I did wonder whether Sonos are trying to tempt people into upgrading by taking a leaf out of apple's book and hobbling their previously fine amplifiers...