External Hard Drive?

Userlevel 2
Just wondering if it is possible to connect an external USB 2.0 hard drive directly to the primary station?

I've read the discussions about using various NAS solutions but was wondering if it would work.

Also, wondering if anyone has used something like a USB travel drive?

Thanks you Gents,

11 replies

If, by "primary station", you mean one of the Zoneplayers, the answer is No.

The ZP's don't have USB interfaces on them, they only have Ethernet ports.

You can attach a NAS which is the same as a USB drive, except it has an ethernet interface.

Cheers,

Keith
Many people here will agree that a NAS is the way to go for the Sonos. They typicaly cost a little more than a USB hard drive.

I have a Buffalo link station that I got for a song and it works great!
Userlevel 2
Too bad that would be way too slick. Thanks for the replies.

Ben
The NAS is very slick. Not really any different. The big differnce is the NAS will work with your sonos and your PC. My NAS is my music server and also the back up for other files from my PCs. I leave it running 24/7. My sonos has all my music even when my computers are off.

You just plug the NAS into the sonos with a network cable instead of a USB cable.
Userlevel 2
Just wondering if it is possible to connect an external USB 2.0 hard drive directly to the primary station?

I've read the discussions about using various NAS solutions but was wondering if it would work.

Also, wondering if anyone has used something like a USB travel drive?

Thanks you Gents,

You can't attach a USB drive directly but you can using an a device like the Linksys NSLU2 (http://www1.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=640&scid=43).

best,
-graham
Too bad that would be way too slick. Thanks for the replies. Ben Why is this slicker than a NAS?

They're both hard drives in a box with a computer interface, and as geo points out above, the NAS is far more flexible.

Cheers,

Keith
I think that the USB devices have allure because they are slightly cheaper and they seem more familiar than the ethernet NAS devices.

In my opinion the NAS devices are much easier to deal with. I recently used a SimpleTech NAS and I can't imagine things being any easier. I plugged everything together, and started the SONOS system. When I went to the SONOS Music Library Setup screen, SONOS had already found the share -- one click -- done.

For me a BIG disadvantage of the USB devices is that the SONOS will not work with them directly. You must connect the USB drive to a computer and the computer must be running in order for SONOS to access the music. And this brings up the other disadvantage, I'd rather not have my music associated with a computer. If the computer crashes or I decide to reboot for some reason, the music will stop.
Userlevel 2
While at Sams Club the other day, I saw a 160GB Simpletech NAS for a good price. The storage capacity is a bit low, but the Simpletech allows for hooking up of additional (and cheaper) drives via USB. If the Simpletech NAS was hooked up to the Sonos via the ethernet port, would the Sonos (and the network in general) be able to see any subsequent drives hooked up via USB through the Simpletech even without any PC's running? If so, are there any downsides by going this route?
While at Sams Club the other day, I saw a 160GB Simpletech NAS for a good price. The storage capacity is a bit low, but the Simpletech allows for hooking up of additional (and cheaper) drives via USB. If the Simpletech NAS was hooked up to the Sonos via the ethernet port, would the Sonos (and the network in general) be able to see any subsequent drives hooked up via USB through the Simpletech even without any PC's running? If so, are there any downsides by going this route?

I'm not familiar with that functionality, but if the second drive appears as a shared folder on your network (and it complies with SMB/CIFS) then Sonos should be able to access it fine.

[... ]
If so, are there any downsides by going this route?

Not that I've discovered (this installation is approaching its two week anniversity).

One point I did notice is that the SimpleTech fans couple a lot of noise into the surface that the drive sits on. We placed the drive on floor in a 3rd floor closet and you could clearly hear the drive on the first floor (this was a "trinity" [very small] house).

Placing an old mouse pad under the drive solved the problem.
Userlevel 2
wasted youth the answer is no. The ethernet attached NAS will not function as a gateway to USB attached drives. NAS means network attached storage, this means that you supply network connection and power only. USB drives require a computer to function. A USB drive is simply a plain old hard drive connected via usb cable instead of the ribbion (ide) cable in the computer.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings