Answered

External DAC with Sonos One?

• 23 January 2022
  • 4 replies

I listen to music by streaming over my home Wifi network to a Sonos One speaker. The only available connection on the back of th Sonos One seems to be ethernet.  My questions are:

1. Would a decent external DAC improve the sound quality of streamed music to my Sonos One?
  2. If so, how would I connect the DAC to the Sonos One?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by buzz 23 January 2022, 20:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It is not possible to connect an external DAC to a ONE.

is the internal DAC inside the Sonos One of decent quality.? I am trying t figure out how to improve the sound of streaming. I currently use Spotify. Would there be a discernable improvement in casual listening by switching to Amazon HD or Tidal? 

DACs are commodity items today, and transparent DACs go for pennies.  "Quality" of a DAC is only spoken about in audiophile circles.  As to there being a difference in streaming services, only you can answer that.

1. Would a decent external DAC improve the sound quality of streamed music to my Sonos One?

What is your benchmark that is being used to compare the quality of the music from the One, to seek an improvement of what the One delivers? For instance, if that is typical stereo kit, the way to get significant real improvement is via two One units, set up as a stereo pair, and properly placed in the room.