Existing Turntable Vinyl Setup - Replace with Play 5 or Keep Analog, or Keep Both

• 24 July 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge
Hi all, here is my situation:

1. I have Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable connected to an Onyx TX-8160 and two wired speakers.
2. The Onyx receiver is output to a Sonos Connect.
3. I have a Playbar in the same room, and other Sonos throughout the house.

I was considering swapping the Onyx with a pre-amp and getting 2 Play 5's that would connect line-in to my turntable, and simultaneously serve as rear's for my Playbar to get 5.1 sound when watching TV (assuming an added sub). I would ditch the wired speakers in this case.

However - I was informed by Sonos customer service that the Play 5's could not simultaneously serve as line-in for the turntable and rears (which is insane!), so that idea is kind of shot.

So now I am debating whether to ditch analog (receiver + wired) altogether - and instead feed the turntable (+ preamp) into my Connect exclusively, then have the 5.1 setup in that room as one of many rooms I could stream to from the turntable, but wouldn't have any analog setup at all.

The alternative would be to add another set of Sonos speakers into the room to serve as rears for the playbar but keep the analog setup. Meaning I would have 2 sets of speakers on the same shelf. But I would have the ability to listen to a good analog setup or treat the turntable as a line-in through the house.

Also - it would not be possible for me to feed an ethernet cable from the connect to the Playbar (to use those speakers as rears), and I also would like to have speakers in that room that support Airplay 2.

Hope this isn't too confuising! Please help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Hi. First, it is not insane that line in cannot be used on rear speakers. There are technical reasons related to the way in which surrounds connect to the system.

Why not run one of the Connect outputs to the amp, then connect the turntable to the Connect line in. You can rip your CDs or listen to a streaming service, so the CD player is redundant. There is internet radio so no need for a tuner.

To get Airplay 2 into the system you would need a Sonos One for minimum spend.

Alternatively get a pair of Play:1s for surrounds and have the P:5s for music. You would be spoiled for choice of lines in and you can Airplay 2 via the P:5s
Further point. Ethernet from Connect to Playbar is pointless. Optical out from Connect to Playbar, maybe, but not necessary.
Badge
Thanks for the reply John.

The Ethernet from connect to Playbar would allow my wired speakers to be used as surrounds, but I would still be missing out on Airplay 2. And not sure whether the Connect could still be used to broadcast my turntable with this setup. At any rate, it would be hard to run the cable.

It sounds like you are saying that I should keep my existing analog setup and get Sonos One as rears for my playbar. This way I could:

1. Use my record player in analog mode
2. Have the playbar + new Sonos One + new sub act as a single room separate from the analog / turntable and utilize AirPlay 2, Dolby 5.1, Alexa.
3. Broadcast my record player via Connect to any room in the house, including the room referenced in #2 above.

If this is what you are saying, I think I agree and will likely go this route, even if it means have multiple sets of speakers (one pair analog/wired, one pair Sonos One on the same shelf).
No you haven't fully understood what I was saying. For a start, there is absolutely no way to use a Connect to drive Sonos surround speakers.

Also, I suggested Play:1s for the surrounds. If the aim is to introduce Airplay 2 then you cannot do it by using Airplay compatible speakers as surrounds, for much the same technical reasons that you cannot use line in.

But yes I think that one option at least would be to keep your existing amp, speakers and turntable. By having a line out from the Connect to the amp you could play all your sources through all your speakers.
You just need one Airplay 2 compatible Sonos speaker - not as a surround - to bring Airplay 2 to your system.
Badge
You are right - Connect Amp is required to driver surround speakers.

I think my whole plan is DOA considering Sonos One can't be used as surround while bring Airplay 2 to the room. They've really given existing Playbar owners no path for an easy upgrade. I'll probably just forgo Airplay 2 altogether.

One question though, if I add rear Sonos One, I assume they can do everything else except Airplay 2 re: Alexa integration?
In fact, reading your first post again, your aims are good sound for music, 5.1 for the TV and Airplay 2.

You could just leave things as they are for music, although I am not clear if you are currently taking advantage of streaming from the Connect to the amp. Two Play:1s for surrounds and a Airplay 2 compatible speaker would complete the picture.

An alternative, similar to what you suggested, would be Play:1s as surrounds, sell analog except for turntable, get a pair of Play:5s for music. Actually you would then have three lines in so could keep CD player and tuner if you have them!
Our last posts crossed. Yes you can use Sonos Ones for Alexa even as surrounds, but consider Play:1s and an Echo Dot, provided you wpuldn't prefer Google Home when it comes