Answered

End of support for Sonos Dock

• 13 September 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Excuse me, I have just received an email from Sonos telling me that they are going to make my Sonos Dock, that I bought off them a few years ago, obsolete. They are actively making something that I bought off them obsolete, it works perfectly now, but after the software update in October they inform me it will no longer work within the Sonos system. I should ask for my money back, surely? And this comes from a company that prided itself on never making obsolete their early components. Actually flabbergasted by this announcement and really not at all impressed, bloody livid actually. Sonos, seriously reconsider this bloody stupid decision.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 13 September 2018, 18:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Another BIG disappointment from Sonos.

The first was when they unnecessarily stopped supporting older Apple devices like my now-useless iPod Touches that I used to run the Sonos app.

Now they will make it impossible to use your iPod on Sonos since, while you could connect to the “line in” jack, it will not charge the iPod.

This, to me, is both outrageous and unnecessary.
So first the CR100 is obsoleted, and now the Dock. Does anyone want to place bets on what's next? The ZP100 or the CR200?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Probably save everyone involved in the Dock End Of Life change a bit of time if they reviewed the CR-100 End Of Life topics. This is a good one to start on.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510

Bottom line Sonos hardware has limits on what it can support, the oldest gear has the tightest limits (Think CR-100, Dock, ZP-80 or 90) and Sonos is doing everything they can to avoid having to drop support for anything. When they have to it is painful for them in many ways, see the topic above, and it is not anything they do lightly.

I know that at some point I'm going to get another End Of Life letter about one of my ancient pieces of Sonos kit, like I got for my CR-100 and I will not be happy. I am not unsympathetic to your problem, it is just that I don't want to leave you thinking there is any hope the decision will be reversed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi, I just put up the announcement for the Dock here, you can use that thread for discussion so that it's all in one place and people can find the answers they need.