Easy integration with existing Home Theater or Stereo PreAmp

• 26 January 2005
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
I was struggling with how to add the Zone Player to my existing home theater and still have the automation of the Controller for the zone. As everyone knows the ZP can be connected by analog outputs, but can't turn on and control the existing preamp.

The only affordable solution I have found is to use the Niles SPK-1 speaker switcher. The solution will only work with preamps/receivers with a 12 volt or an AC plug. It costs about $100.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/pdffiles/manuals/spk1.pdf

This will allow the ZP amplifier to drive the Stereo Speakers, but switch to the preamp/receiver when it is turned on.

If anyone has an alternative, please let me know.

4 replies

re: Integration with Home Theatres

I use a Russound AB-3 and it works like a charm.

What's really nice is that it automatically switches when the ZonePlayer is playing music and then reverts to the Home Theatre when the ZP is not in use.

It means the user experience is preserved throughout the home - which my wife appreciates.

Chris.
Userlevel 2
Anybody else find a solution that integrates the existing subwoower? Or Do you just use a Y adapter and connect the zone player sub output to the existing subwoofer that's part of the home theater.
Userlevel 2
Chris - if I use the Russound AB3.2 - can I still handle 5 speaker surround sound? The AB3.2 only has a left & right - what would the hook-up look like???
Anybody else find a solution that integrates the existing subwoower? Or Do you just use a Y adapter and connect the zone player sub output to the existing subwoofer that's part of the home theater.

A "Y" adaptor is not a good idea, but most subwoofers have left and right inputs. Connect your SONOS system to the left subwoofer input and the home theater subwoofer output to the right input.

You'll need to fuss with things to get the levels correct. I suggest that you adjust the subwoofer level control to match the SONOS subwoofer output then adjust the home theater's subwoofer output.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings