Answered

Doni need a preamp for diffusing on sonos port ?

• 9 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi!

I just bought a Sonos Port, to diffuse my old vinyls all around my house, on my sonos speakers. Usualy I use my turntable (thorens td60) on my amp (marantz 2270) with wired speakers.  My question : Do I absolutely need a preamp for connecting my turntable to the port , or I can pass thru my actual amp ? If so, how do I get out from my amp to the port ? I’m leaving a picture of behind my amp so you guys can help me .

thanks !!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 December 2020, 18:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It works !!! Wow pretty impressive ! Now it release the full potential of the sonos port ! 

Thanks so much for your help and for sharing your knowledge !

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I haven’t tried this myself, but I think it should work to sync up your speakers. On the back of your receiver you’ll see see two inputs labeled “Play.” Connect the output from your Port to one of those inputs. On the front, keep your selector knob on “Phono” and look for the two buttons labeled “Monitor.” Use the button on the left to select input 1 or 2 (whichever you connected the Port to in the first step) and push the button on the right in to select “Tape.” When you play a record now the Marantz should be playing the output from your Port instead of getting the signal directly from your turntable, so in theory it should be in sync with the Sonos speakers.

It work!

But now there is a delay between what is going out my amp speakers, and what is going out my sonos speakers. Is there a way to bypass that so everything is playing at same time ?

Regards !

If you’re connecting the turntable to the phono port on the Marantz, no, you don’t need an external pre-amp. The Marantz already has one built in, and why they have an input labeled phono, which leads to that preamp before it goes to the rest of the circuitry in that device. If you instead connect the turntable to the Port, yes, you would need an external preamp.

If you do connect the turntable to the Marantz, the Port wold then just connect to one of those tape loops, either 1 or 2. 

And thank you for the picture!

Thanks for answering!

All right, but if my turntable is connect to my marantz, can I get the marantz out to the sonos port so I can play my vinyls and it will comes out my other sonos speakers ? If i can do that, which output should I use on my amp ? 

tks ! 

Oh tape loop !!! got it !! 

I’m trying this right now !

Tks !!!!