Answered

Does the Sonos Connect auto input detection wake up other Sonos speakers?

• 3 April 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge
Hi, I have a HiFi system consisting of an amp and 2 speakers. I would like to attached a Sonos Connect and link the amp output to the Sonos Connect input. I understand the Sonos Connect automatically detects input. My question is if this also automatically turns on any other Sonos speakers I have at home? I would like to achieve the following - when there is music playing on my amp, I would this to turn on all my Sonos speakers and start the music playback on all of them.

Please note that I cannot do the other way around, which is linking Sonos Connect output to amp input, due to the nature of my set up.

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 3 April 2019, 16:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi salis

Sonos speakers are always on they just go into a low power state when not receiving a signal. If you intergrate a Sonos Connect with your AVR via line-out from it to line-in of the Sonos Connect you have two choices:

1. Group the Sonos Connect to other Sonos speakers and play music to them from a source connected to the AVR and leave the group in tact after you're done.
2. Group the Sonos Connect to other Sonos speakers and ungroup them after you done playing music from a source connected to your AVR. You'll have to re-group each time.

In either scenario you'll have to set the line-in of the Sonos Connect to "auto detect" in order for play back to start without your interaction.

Cheers!
Badge
Many thanks, this is very helpful.
Just to double check, in case 1 (Sonos Connect grouped with all other Sonos speakers) and with Sonos Connect line-in set on "auto detect", every time I play something on the AVR, the Sonos Connect will automatically wake up and the music will automatically start playing on all speakers that are grouped together with the Connect, with no interaction needed from me?
Userlevel 7
Hi salis

Yes.

Note:The one caveat is that the line-out from the AVR has to be a "Monitor" or what was originally called Tape-Out" (when Tape Decks existed) :8

If your AVR does not have the requisite outputs on the rear they may exist on the front panel. If not in either location the only alternative is to use the headphone jack. However doing so may require an impedance modulator and/or it may disengage the speakers connected to the AVR.
Badge
Thanks, very helpful!

In this setup, what would happen if music is playing through the Connect on a Sonos speaker, and I press the Play/Pause button on the Sonos speaker?

I am trying to find a way to solve this issue: there is typically always music playing on my AVR (which will be connected to a Sonos Connect), but I would like to only turn on the Sonos speaker (grouped together with the Connect) manually from a button on the speaker itselft - is this possible at all?
Badge
Just to check regarding second quesiton: would the following work - if I do not set the Connect line-in to "auto detect" and the Connect and a Sonor speaker are in a group, what would happen if I press play/pause on the speaker? Would it also turn on the Connect, so that music can play on the speaker too?
Userlevel 7
Thanks, very helpful!

In this setup, what would happen if music is playing through the Connect on a Sonos speaker, and I press the Play/Pause button on the Sonos speaker?

I am trying to find a way to solve this issue: there is typically always music playing on my AVR (which will be connected to a Sonos Connect), but I would like to only turn on the Sonos speaker (grouped together with the Connect) manually from a button on the speaker itselft - is this possible at all?

Just to check regarding second quesiton: would the following work - if I do not set the Connect line-in to "auto detect" and the Connect and a Sonor speaker are in a group, what would happen if I press play/pause on the speaker? Would it also turn on the Connect, so that music can play on the speaker too?

Hi Salis

I'm combining your questions as they appear to ask the same thing in the end.

When speakers are grouped pressing the play/pause button on any speaker with stop the music. It can be resumed from any speaker as well.

Caution: If you remove a speaker from a group and try to play a song on that speaker via the Sonos app and that song is still in the queue of the grouped speakers you may get an error saying that the song cannot be played. That is because it is already in a queue. Just a bit of FYI 😉

Cheers!
Badge
Thanks, I guess the question was more like: if my AVR is connected to the line-in of the Connect and the Connect is in a group with another speaker, what would happen if I press Play/Pause on the speaker or on the Connect - would that turn on the speaker and the Connect?
Userlevel 7
Yes. For the purpose of our conversation the Connect is considered a speaker as well. It just has the ability to send and receive audio. I hope that clarifies things.

Cheers!
Badge
thanks!