Answered

Does Sonos AMP allow speaker to be turned off?

• 15 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing a Sonos Amp to power both my den bookshelf speakers and my outdoor speakers.  I would like to be able to turn off the indoor speakers when I am outside so that music doesn’t get blasted inside the house late at night and wake up the kids.  Old amps used to allow you to turn on specific speaker groups with the touch of button (ie. “speaker A, speaker B”). Does the Sonos Amp have this functionality?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 15 July 2022, 17:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

No, you would need to accomplish this externally. This could be a simple pair of switches or a Volume control for each pair.

You would need to insert a switch into the setup, as both pairs of connected speakers would otherwise be outputting the same audio (or not). See this YT video:

https://youtu.be/2E0dYvihv_w

Worth noting that Sonos only have speaker connection ports for a left channel and right channel.  You can connect more than one pair of speakersto these ports under certain circumstances, but as far as the Amp is concerned, it only sees a single pair of speakers.  Hence, why you would need a external device as recommended above if you need to switch between speaker pairs or play them at different volumes.