Does anyone have experience with the new "works with Sonos" certified Receivers?

• 29 November 2018
  • 7 replies

I am considering being a VSX-933 from Pioneer and hooking it up to my Sonos Connect and grouping it in one (large) room with two play:1's - my current AV-Receiver (Yamaha RX-V473) is 7 years old and it causes mild latency (echo effect) with that setup - the DAC is simply too slow - full direct mode will only allow 2 channels out of the 5.1 set up at it sounds rubbish.

Anyone out there using a Sonos Connect in connect with and Sonos products in the same group?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

so I jumped the gun and purchased said Pioneer, and it is great! zero latency, full 5.1 running like a charm- can only recommend.
Badge
Hi,
Just to confirm, you were able to get 5.1 from the VSX-933 (so, using some DSP) to sync perfectly with other Sonos speakers? that's great news if they've fixed the latency issues with this. Wonder why we haven't heard more about this!
I have my suspicions that this is merely down to the fact that the built in processor is pretty potent and DSP is done fast enough to not be perceived as latency... I did in fact speak to both Pioneer and Sonos prior to buying the VSX-933 and both parties confirmed that the "works with Sonos" badge didn't really have anything to do with it, that the badge was just to certify that the Connect was able to switch on the Receiver via an analog connection. When I bought the Receiver it was actually with very limited hope that this would work. (I even nicely folded the plastic wrapping, thinking I was likely going to have to bring it back) I searched for a good number of days across multiple audio tech review sites to find reviews of the product or explanations that would discuss the connect actually working seamlessly. But alas, most listed something down the lines of "did not test with Sonos Connect"b as we did not have one handy". So now we know: it actually works... 😃
What works here? Like you, I'm tired of having to purchase something just to find out if it works or not. Wondering if I should have purchased HEOS to go with my Denon.

Can you use your Sonos as rear, surround speakers?
Is Connect required? If yes, can't you use Connect with most any receiver?
What does the receiver add here, since I can group the Sonos One speakers to play through-out

1. I'd like to use Sonos speakers as rear surround
2. I'd like to add more Sonos speakers in other rooms and do whole house with receiver.
I have my suspicions that this is merely down to the fact that the built in processor is pretty potent and DSP is done fast enough to not be perceived as latency... I did in fact speak to both Pioneer and Sonos prior to buying the VSX-933 and both parties confirmed that the "works with Sonos" badge didn't really have anything to do with it, that the badge was just to certify that the Connect was able to switch on the Receiver via an analog connection. When I bought the Receiver it was actually with very limited hope that this would work. (I even nicely folded the plastic wrapping, thinking I was likely going to have to bring it back) I searched for a good number of days across multiple audio tech review sites to find reviews of the product or explanations that would discuss the connect actually working seamlessly. But alas, most listed something down the lines of "did not test with Sonos Connect"b as we did not have one handy". So now we know: it actually works... :D

So if I understand correctly, audio sounds to be in sync but there is no audio sync adjustment included in those receivers? I have previously tried the Connect with a Yamaha and then a Marantz receiver. In both cases the receivers introduced a delay which meant the audio was slightly out of sync with my Sonos One speakers. An annoying echo was the result and no way to adjust audio. I was under the impression that the 'works with Sonos' receivers would have included some adjustment for that but from what you report, that may not be the case. Good news either way as it is the end result that matters 🙂.

I
Hello
I have just jumped in to Sonos and have a question on this topic. Hope you can help. I have 2 x Play 5s and a sub in my kitchen area and just got a Connect to link in my Pioneer AVR VSX-1131 with 5.1 speakers. (manual here https://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/sites/default/files/manuals/AV-Receiver/VSX-1131/VSX-1131_advanced_manual_en.pdf )

I have this working fine using the Connect RCA outs to the Pioneer CD inputs, so I can play Sonos sourced music to both kitchen and lounge group rooms indivually or together. I thought there might be a problem with a delay (which is why I was looking at the VSX933) but there is none. It also outputs in 5.1 but I doubt that is true 5.1 as the source from Sonos would be stereo (I think).

So my question concerns playing audio from the Pioneer via the Connect to both speaker groups. I have not been able to get this to work. I have tried the Zone 2 connectors and run the necesary setup in the menus but no luck. If I use a single headphone jack split to RCA that does work and plays in the kitchen but mutes the Pioneer speakers. I also have a mini HTPC that I have connected single speaker jack to connect RCA in and that works fine on both groups.
Has anyone used the Pioneer amps, either the VSX933 or VSX1131 to output to the Sonos Connect RCA input and if so which connections please ? Perhaps its not possible or for some reason my Zone 2 is not working.
Thanks.
Hello
So my question concerns playing audio from the Pioneer via the Connect to both speaker groups. I have not been able to get this to work. I have tried the Zone 2 connectors and run the necesary setup in the menus but no luck. If I use a single headphone jack split to RCA that does work and plays in the kitchen but mutes the Pioneer speakers. I also have a mini HTPC that I have connected single speaker jack to connect RCA in and that works fine on both groups.
Has anyone used the Pioneer amps, either the VSX933 or VSX1131 to output to the Sonos Connect RCA input and if so which connections please ? Perhaps its not possible or for some reason my Zone 2 is not working.
Thanks.

sorry, never tried it that way around with the VSX-933, but will give it a try. When watching TV on 5.1 I do not use the nSonos speakers, and all music I stream onto 3xPlay:1 speaker plus VSX-933 (via connect) is alway Sonos originating (Tidal, Spotify, itunes library, etc.)
TBH I doubt your setup suggestion will work. Also, why are you trying to achieve exactly? extend the TV 5.1 with Sonos? I have seen in other threads that this will only work if you have a sound bar. Will give it a try though and will let you know if I get it to work. But instead of getting the VSX-933, you might want to look at the Sonos Amp for your setup, that way you will be in a "all-in-one" ecosystem... at the time I got the VSX-933 it wasn't available yet.