Question

Do I need to different speakers?

• 5 November 2016
  • 2 replies

I have a pair of 8ohm speaker capable of 30w RMS connected to my sonos amp. The documentation says the amp could output up to 55wperchannel with 8 ohm speakers but will output 110w per channel with 4 ohm speakers. Im worried my speakers may not cut it and also the volume needs to be turned up higher than my play 1's to have the same decibel level. If I get higher wattage speakers will the volume output be higher at the same level

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

The comparative positions of the volume controls are irrelevant, the play:1 doesn't use the same amp as the connect:amp. The volume output at any given volume position is a function of the sensitivity of the speakers in use.
I have a pair of 8ohm speaker capable of 30w RMS connected to my sonos amp.

If I get higher wattage speakers will the volume output be higher at the same level

Higher sound levels at the same volume control of the amp is a function of speaker sensitivity, not power handling capacity(wattage). A typical sensitivity spec is 88dB, as an example. A 90dB speaker will deliver higher sound levels at the same volume control position, in a given room.

Your bigger worry, if you need to have the volume slider of the Connect Amp at 75%plus for extended periods is whether the speakers can handle that power. I would however not worry about the 110 watt number either, it will be drawn only if the speaker drops its impedance, not because the amp pushes it out. A bigger problem almost always is amps being underpowered for speakers, not the other way around as seems to be the case here.

As you have been advised, the play 1 comparison is irrelevant.