Question

Do i need to add a 2nd Boost?

• 27 December 2017
  • 2 replies

Have Boost set up in house now. Adding a Connect to outside BBQ area. Closest Sonos device I will have is an existing Connect in Family Room about 60 ft away. Will my new Connect I add to outside BBQ be able to connect via the mesh to the Family Room Connect or is that to far? if it does not reach will adding 2nd boost next to the Connect in the family Room send a stronger signal than existing Connect that is there? If i hook up 2nd Boost it will not be hardwired in, can it just connect to the mesh to extend signal assuming the Boost will extend further than a Connect and not have to be hardwired to network?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, TDOG1. In most cases, I wouldn't recommend setting up Sonos outside, due to the wireless interference from the outside walls. This could be addressed by running a hardwire to the desired location. Keep in mind, these devices aren't meant to be kept outside and should be kept from extreme temperatures.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you want to play with the system to see what might work for you you could leave your closest connect where it is and take another Sonos out to the BBQ and both listen to it for a while and look at the internal network matrix page to see what the WiFi is looking like.

If you add a boost (or want to get an idea of what one would do) you might temporarily take another wireless Sonos device and move it closer to the BBQ location. It would extend the Sonos mesh and possibly improve the situation.

Here we have stucco walls here that include a wire mesh that eats WiFi signal. I can move a Sonos device to a window looking the direction I want more range and get much more signal/distance outside compared to leaving the inside device sitting a few feet away behind a section of wall where it normally sits.