Do I need a third Amp (in addition to one Port) or can I buy a used Connect:Amp?

• 31 January 2021
  • 5 replies

I bought 2 Sonos Amps recently when we moved to a new house with 2 sets of built-in speakers. Then I bought a Port that is now connected to a CD player and a pair of KEF LS50 wireless speakers. All of that works, but I want to also connect our turntable (with no preamp) and the two Amps are not close, owing to the location of the wires for the built-in speakers. 

Do I need to buy yet another Amp for the turntable, or could I find a used 2nd Gen Connect:Amp to connect to the turntable? I know it wouldn’t be compatible w/Airplay 2, but as long as the Connect:Amp gets the turntable on the network, wouldn’t that work?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Why not use a Port (or a used CONNECT)?  Unless you’re driving another pair of speakers, why pay for the additional electronics? You’re just needing to get the turntable output into the Sonos ecosystem….and yes, you’ll need a preamp between the turntable and any Sonos line in. 

Thank you. I’m thinking that’s what I’m going to have to do. I was just trying to find a slightly less expensive way to do it, having spent about $1800 on Sonos gear so far. That’s why I thought a used Connect:Amp might do the trick. 

The Sonos Port + some preamp gets close to the price of the Amp. That’s why I asked the question.

A used CONNECT should be cheaper than a used CONNECT:AMP. Just want to be certain it is S2 capable.

And no matter what Sonos device you use, you’ll still need a preamp to get the phono level output of the turntable to line level, which is what a Sonos expects. 

Here is a good reference between Phono and Line levels. All Sonos line-ins are looking for line level data.

Many thanks for your previous replies.

Sorry to come back again, but I bought a Mini Music Hall preamp and inserted it between the Rega RP3 turntable and a used CONNECT (Gen 2) I just bought. The CONNECT shows up on my existing Sonos network, but no sound results from the turntable. Conversely, the CD player connected to the PORT works just fine--so I also tried to swap out the CD player for the preamp/turntable to the PORT, but it didn’t work.

The preamp is supposed to work with MM Cartridges, so I’m stumped. I think it’s something with the turntable/preamp arrangement.