Question

DJ setup with Connect

• 16 December 2015
  • 7 replies

Hi

I have turntables & a Traktor z2 mixer plugged in (with phono cables) to a Sonos connect, playing wireless from 2x grouped play1 speakers. I'm experiencing a lot of delay between the music I can hear directly through my mixer (with headphones attached) and the music that plays through songs speakers; causing beat matching issues etc.

Is there anything I can do to improve this?

I ran a diagnostic & the number is 5248173.

Thanks, Alex

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

No, the delay is fixed and can't be defeated, Sonos isn't a dj product and was never designed for this purpose.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi

I have turntables & a Traktor z2 mixer plugged in (with phono cables) to a Sonos connect, playing wireless from 2x grouped play1 speakers. I'm experiencing a lot of delay between the music I can hear directly through my mixer (with headphones attached) and the music that plays through songs speakers; causing beat matching issues etc.

Is there anything I can do to improve this?

I ran a diagnostic & the number is 5248173.

Thanks, Alex

There's going to be a delay but you might be able to get it down a bit by:

- Setting the CONNECT to Uncompressed in the room settings.
- Making sure none of your Sonos products are near (on top of or right next to) any other wireless devices that may cause interference.
- You can also try changing wireless channel on the router. Stick to either 1, 6 or 11 as these are less prone to wireless interference. Currently your network appears to be on channel 6, if this is a busy channel in your area you may want to try changing to 1 or 11 to see how it's working.

As The LHC has explained, there's going to be a delay, but you can try these steps to see if it improves slightly.
Badge
I see that this reply is from a year ago, has there been any progress made in finding a fix for the delay issues?
There no "fix" because the delay is intrinsic to the architecture of the system. Without the buffer (the cause of the delay), it is not possible to coordinate multiple streams in multiple rooms. This is the core functionality of Sonos; without multi-room streaming, it might as well be a Bluetooth speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I see that this reply is from a year ago, has there been any progress made in finding a fix for the delay issues?

There isn't an issue to fix
Badge
There no "fix" because the delay is intrinsic to the architecture of the system. Without the buffer (the cause of the delay), it is not possible to coordinate multiple streams in multiple rooms. This is the core functionality of Sonos; without multi-room streaming, it might as well be a Bluetooth speaker.

Thank you
Badge
I studied this DJ setup too. The closest solution is to use the Play-bar fiber optic input with analog to digital converter from DJ analog output console and then you can have 70ms delay. Sonos tech support does not recommend this solution because of the time delay between input / output inside of the Sonos device plus the delay from processing the signal and also to be synced all the way to the last device over the wifi as coding/compressing. The delay will increase when you group more devices.

LHC is brutally right, Sonos is not a real time sound processing system. It is only for streaming HIFI through WIFI.

Amazon has the converter from Analog to Digital https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YNKB2QY/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I6869NV8Y6EE0&colid=2LFH346I4X520
This converter is recommended for Sonos Play-bar if the TV does not have the fiber link.

Or you can use a cheap converter.
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Converter-Headphone/dp/B00J2BR9DY/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PKNXXAHXZB42P71E9S2G

I also used this Toslink switch 3input x1output https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQ2R38C/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IY0D5WKZ8RC5T&colid=2LFH346I4X520

TOSLINK cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T6OVRQM/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3RUKNOS2Z1G1T&colid=2LFH346I4X520