Answered

Digital Optical Cable Adapter

• 29 December 2018
  • 12 replies

Why don’t I hear sound through my playbar when I have my cable playing through the TV? Since my Samsung flatscreen tv is a little older without a Digital Audio Optical port, I had to buy a Digital Optical to RCA converter to utilize the Red-White ports on my TV. However, I still do not hear sound. Everything is plugged in. Has anyone run into an issue like this before? Thanks
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 January 2019, 06:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Do you have a link to this device you're using? If you got a Digital Optical to RCA adapter, it's doing the wrong thing. You'd want to be using an RCA to Digital Optical adapter instead. But that's why I'm asking, that may be the right device...but it would be nice to know.
Hi Bruce, Unfortunately I don't have a link to the Samsung TV, but I can provide the model # and other details listed on the back if that will help? The TV doesn't seem to have a Digital Optical port. Also, unfortunately it doesn't look like the Playbar has any RCA ports on It - to do it in the order you're suggesting. Is there another adapter I should try to use?
No, I was looking for a link to the " Digital Optical to RCA converter " that you're using. Mostly because I think it's backwards. You want an analog to digital device, not a digital to analog (RCA).

Those red and white RCA outputs on your TV are analog, you'd want to be taking the analog signal, and converting it to digital (optical) which would then feed the PLAYBAR.

And in all honesty, if I was you, I'd be pulling the audio out before it reached the TV, not after. Using an HDMI switch with an optical output on it, something along the lines of

https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Switcher-Selector-Extractor-Splitter/dp/B01HM1RP6G

That way, you would be getting the full Dolby Digital signal going to your PLAYBAR, rather than the stereo signal that the TV is processing.
Thanks, that makes sense- I understand why it should go in that order. Here is a picture of the device. Let me know if this is in fact the wrong order:

I will try to incorporate the digital optical -> HDMI converter that you provided the link for. However, my TV only has 2 HDMI ports, which are occupied by my comcast hdmi, and my Roku HDMI. Will the Amazon item that you provided the link be able to act as a switch board as well, so that I can use all 3 hdmi plugs? (Sonos digital optical to hdmi converter + Cable hdmi + roku hdmi)

Thanks so much!
That device is the exact opposite of what you want. Note that it says "in" at the side that has the optical and coaxial ports, and "out" at the RCA jacks on the other side. But you're trying to send the signal from your TV "in" to those "out" RCA jacks. That device won't work for you at all.

The device I linked to as a reference would be a good start. Do your own search and figure out which one would best meet your needs, I'm not recommending one over another, because I have no experience on which to base such a suggestion.

In your case, both the Comcast and the Roku would be connected to the switch on an HDMI input, and then a separate cable would go from the switch to your TV to carry the video signal. Essentially, you're going to stop changing the input on the TV itself, and start changing the input on the switch. That way, all devices will get the audio split out and sent to your Sonos soundbar.
Hi Bruce, sorry for the delay here.

So as a reminder, these are the back ports of my Sonos Soundbar:

Can I plug my digital optical audio cable from the soundbar to the switchboard in the link you provided? I can’t tell.

Thanks!
Austin
Laugh. I respond to so many posts, I had to go back and reread this thread to refresh my memory.

Yes. If you look at the picture in the link that I posted to Amazon, and look at the box side on the bottom, next to that RCA jack that has a yellow ring, you'll see a port labeled TOSLINK. That's where you'd plug in the other end of that optical cable.

Information you don't really need: Optical connections tend to be called TOSLINK, because they were originally created by Toshiba. It got adopted much more widely, but the name TOSLINK and Optical Connectors are synonymous.
And please, no apologies necessary for the delay. Just want to make sure your system works for you, and you're happy! Feel free to post back if you run into any other issues. If I don't have an answer, there's a lot of other folks around who are happy to help.
Thanks Bruce! To keep my 1 month-in-between-responses cadence going...
Believe it or not, Best Buy didn’t have the adapter you provided! (Or they didn’t know what I was talking about)

Either way, I will be buying the product through the amazon link you sent, and I’ll message you if I hit any snags in the installation process.

Thanks!
Heh. Best Buy is always hit or miss for me. If it is ever an item that I consider “specialty”, I don’t even bother with them. And I rarely pay any attention to what they say. Any $10 an hour sales rep probably hasn’t done the same research that I have.

I look forward to seeing how it works out for you!

Hi Bruce! Hope you’re well. 

so the adapter has been working great, thanks for your help. However recently, I started hearing crackling noises in the sound bar. Any idea why? Do most sound bars do warranties? I received the speaker as a gift from my girlfriend, and we got the speaker in December. 

thanks!

Usually, when there is a crackle, it’s due to a problem before the signal reaches the soundbar. However, there’s also a slight chance that there may be a hardware issue, albeit extremely small. 

You probably want to check with the location that your girlfriend purchased the soundbar, if you’re looking at a return/swap. Failing that, you could contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it. 

However, I would also recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this crackling issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.