Desktop Audio with SONOS speakers?

• 14 December 2017
  • 49 replies

Badge
Trying to utilize a single SPEAKER to channel desktop audio(voice, music, gaming sound) and Sonos streaming music. WHat needs to be done or hooked up?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Funny, nowhere in that advertising are there the words "computer audio".

Your lawyer will laugh you out of the office.
He hasn't so far
I won't be engaging with you here. My lawyer is working on it.

Cheers

Your call. If prefer to make a fool of yourself...

funny how sensitive people can get

It's thought-provoking. Take a closer look at the ads. "Sonos is the ultimate home sound system: a WiFi-enabled wireless network that ... for music, TV, movies, video games, podcasts, audiobooks, radio and more."

Playbar/Playbase/Beam are dedicated to TV/Movies/Video games; Play:1/Sonos ONE/Play:5 (with Line-In audio jack)/Play:3/CONNECT (with Line-In audio jack)/CONNECT:AMP (with Line-In audio jack) are designed for music, podcasts, audiobooks, radio and more. Your claim of false advertising will be smashed in court.

my Play:1 don't have a line in
Yes, that quote says the line in is on the PLAY:5, and CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP. Not the PLAY:1.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I’m yet to see a ‘best computer speakers of 201x’ list include Sonos listed. There’s a reason. They are not computer speakers and have never been marketed as such!
He hasn't so far

You know, over the years there have been hundreds of lawsuit threats posted here. Want to take a guess how many posters actually sued Sonos?

Hint: It's under 1.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
He hasn't so far

You know, over the years there have been hundreds of lawsuit threats posted here. Want to take a guess how many posters actually sued Sonos?

Hint: It's under 1.

Bet the number of lawyers who made a buck out of the gullible is far larger though ?
As I said earlier, I am not paying anything till there is a case. But it really amazing to see how much reaction the word lawyer gets 😉
let's face it, this is a bad system and there are a lot of people who didn't get their money's worth. just fix the problem and everyone will be happy because writing to me is not changing anything
let's face it, this is a bad system and there are a lot of people who didn't get their money's worth. just fix the problem and everyone will be happy because writing to me is not changing anything
There's no problem to fix. Next time, my dear fellow, do your homework (aka research) before buying a product that may not fit your needs.
“our wifi connected speaker will let you listen to ANYTHING in any room or every room of your home.” said the Sonos in their fancy video. ANYTHING? hmmm... ANYTHING?

That's a good opening line...
oh hey! by the way, I am not "your dear fellow"
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
No you are not. This is a community of people who own Sonos are are looking to buy Sonos. We share experiences and advice. We also share some frustrations with Sonos and their development process and new feature lifecycle.

However, we bought a multi room wi fi music platform. Not a computer speaker and not a bluetooth speaker, because those things aren't advertised as features.

It's clear you have a gripe because you misunderstood the Sonos proposition. However coming to the community with all guns blazing, throwing insults at all and threatening legal action is just troll like behaviour Dear Fellow! mentioning a Lawyer made little difference other than some mild chuckling 😃
There are no insults thrown. Who has been insulted? Show me...
I am not threatening, I am seeking ways of taking legal action and. I voice that.
It is amazing how word legal causes so much stir and, how sensitive people get.

You know man. I wrote a comment to Edward... A Sonos Staff, that's what his title said. My message was directed to him. He didn't answer. I didn't expect he would.

Now all these people form "community," including you, trailing me. I am not trying to take any action against you or your "community."

It is in between me and a Sono Staff. So, what'sit to you?

Still calling me "Dear Fellow" with an exclamation mark at the end? And, then telling me my behaviour is troll-like?

There is a way of stopping this. Accept the fact that I am seeking legal advice with my own will and, keep doing it so.
And, this is none of your business, whether I fail or not.

As I said, the message was directed to a SONOS STAFF. So, if all the people who were not part of this conversation didn't come here and jump at it this conversation would not have strech out this long.

Leave my message to SONOS in peace. And, you'll be at peace.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
“our wifi connected speaker will let you listen to ANYTHING in any room or every room of your home.” said the Sonos in their fancy video. ANYTHING? hmmm... ANYTHING?

That's a good opening line...

Does it also say in any manner you choose? You’ve said yourself you can hear sound from the PC. So your ‘anything’ is covered there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
But you've posted on a public community forum :8 But I'll leave wishing you all the luck with the legal action.
I'm not a lawyer, but it doesn't take one to understand that the word 'anything' in advertisements has to come with some realistic expectations. In an extreme case example, there should be no expectation that 'anything' means you can pick up radio stations generated by aliens in a galaxy far far away. Going outside of Sonos, drinking a Mountain Dew won't give you cool breath enough to blow out a fire, as it does for Morgan Freeman in the commercials. The public should be expected to put realistic expectations on the products they buy.

That said, computer speakers and Bluetooth speakers are clearly real. Those aren't types of media though, those are effectively protocols or methods of communication. Sonos has never claimed to be able to deal with any method of communications.

What happens is that people make assumptions about functionality, based on what they want it to be, or what other companies have sort of trained them to expect. Sonos can't be responsible for that. I also think it's impractical for a company to advertise for features it does not have, in order to prevent customer assumptions. A company doesn't even have to advertise at all really.

Even then, if there was a legal case, I can't imagine Sonos would be liable for much more then the cost of the product(s), since there is no damage to other property involved. I can't imagine there would be emotional stress from this. So after the legal fees, the only point in suing Sonos would be for revenge purposes, or a class action lawsuit. I doubt you're that upset to actually spend your own money on a suit, nor spend the money to find other customers for a class action lawsuit...especially one with a very weak case.

A much more effective use of your time and money would be to just sell, or even give away, your Sonos products if they don't meet your desires and search for a product that does better fit what you're looking for.

BTW, if you really don't want this discussed on public forums, you have several more private methods for contacting Sonos, including personal messages to Sonos staff on this forum.
As I said earlier, I am not paying anything till there is a case. But it really amazing to see how much reaction the word lawyer gets ;)

Which is exactly why you mentioned the word "lawyer". :8

But pause a moment and take a good look at the reaction. We are laughing at you, and the silly notion that any lawyer would take a flimsy case with no hope of recovery due to damages. At most they get back their 33.3% cut of the cost of the items off the top of your "winnings" in a very difficult case to win. You would be far more successful in recovering your dollars spent by selling them on ebay. Which is why your threats are not only idle, they are most certainly a thinly disguised bluff.
Hah hah, very smart. The expectation from ANYTHING is to be able to hear the movies, World Cup games and the news broadcast that I stream through my WI-FI network. That is not much to expect from a $500 system. And, definitely not expecting "to pick up radio stations generated by aliens in a galaxy far far away." Netflix, Vimeo, ABC, Youtube are not that far away.

The thing here is that SONOS controls what services you can use with their products. If you can't add service to the controller app you can't use the speakers which makes it a closed-circuit system that is determined by SONOS. And that should be mentioned instead of "ANYTHING"
As I said earlier, I am not paying anything till there is a case. But it really amazing to see how much reaction the word lawyer gets ;)

Which is exactly why you mentioned the word "lawyer". :8

But pause a moment and take a good look at the reaction. We are laughing at you, and the silly notion that any lawyer would take a flimsy case with no hope of recovery due to damages. At most they get back their 33.3% cut of the cost of the items off the top of your "winnings" in a very difficult case to win. You would be far more successful in recovering your dollars spent by selling them on ebay. Which is why your threats are not only idle, they are patently absurd.

I don't wanna win anything in terms of material goods, I don't care to recover $$$. So, my lawyer, If there is a case and if he wins he can take whatever he wants. I want people to clearly describe their products while selling. If I was told, " these speakers will only work what our controller app allows" I would've thought twice and then not buy the thing.

Keep laughing.

I don't wanna win anything in terms of material goods, I don't care to recover $$$. I want people to clearly describe their products while selling. If I was told, " these speakers will only work what our controller app allows" I would've thought twice and then not buy the thing.

Keep laughing.

So, your lawyer is going to take a case that gives him nothing but the satisfaction of making a company describe everything its product doesn't do?

You don't see how absurd that is? You would do better to admit you were just throwing out a bluff than to keep up the charade that your lawyer is listening to you about this nonsense.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Boiko. If the product does not meet your needs and you purchased with ourselves directly, I would advise making use of our returns period. Alternatively, if purchased with a retailer, please consult them for further advice as to how to pursue a refund. Will now be closing this thread from further comments. Thanks.