Answered

Denon AVR 3500 to Sonos for multiroom

I have a Denon AVR 3500H hard wired to a 7.1 Q acoustic system in my lounge. I also have various sonos speakers throughout my house. 

if for example I am using the tune in radio through both my Denon and sonos they are out of synch so I have a horrible echo effect when I go from room to room. 

My thoughts are to use the Denon as the source and set up several zones on it connecting this to a sonos connect or port. That way my music will be in synch as I go from room to room. 

Would this work or is there a better way to do what I’m after?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 5 May 2020, 17:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Do it the other way around. Use the Sonos as the source, to send to the Denon, and then all speakers should be in sync, assuming the Denon isn’t doing extra processing of the input. 

If you were sending the stream from the Denon to the Sonos, there is always a minimum delay of around 70ms, in order to both digitize the input, and buffer the data so it can be played across all connected Sonos rooms,  in sync. 

Brilliant, thank you Bruce

ive attached a picture of the back of one of these units. I’m hardwired in using banana plugs for the 5.1.2 and have the following in using hdmi (and ARC)

TV

DVD

PS4

Nintendo Switch

Virgin box  

With this in mind where would I connect the sonos connect  

Unfortunately, that picture isn’t clear enough for me to read any of the inputs, but a Sonos Port generally should be set up as you would a tape deck, using the tape deck inputs/outputs. 

Thanks again Bruce

You can connect it to the analog CD inputs (red/white, marked ‘CD’), or one of the coaxial digital inputs (orange, upper left of back panel).  If using the coax, you would need to assign the input to the CD/AUX1/AUX2 input you wish to use.  See page 176 in this manual:

http://downloads.denon.com/documentmaster/us/avr-x3500he3_eng_pdf_im_v00.pdf

Note: If using a Connect, you also have the option of using one of the optical inputs. 

Superstar, thank you jgatie

Just as a follow up - everything now works perfectly as I move from room to room regardless if it’s a sonos or other speaker. 

thanks guys.